The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Thanks for the link, David - a great flying display.
(16-09-2024, 09:51 PM)David Cochrane Wrote: There's a Catalina at RAF Cosford which flies occasionally.
https://youtu.be/ZY9-W8x-4FQ
Lovely !

The Catalina along with the Sunderland flying boat were the mainstays of 10 Squadron Coastal Command (an Australian RAAF Squadron seconded to the RAF for the war)

My father was a gunner in 10 Squadron, flying in the Sunderland during WWII  

Fascinating to see a Catalina still flying after 80 plus years. Almost as good as the Austin 7  Big Grin
There’s a Catalina at Duxford as well. Whether it is the same one as Cosford, I don’t know
It is  - the aircraft is Miss Pickup and is based at Duxford. At the Goodwood Revival in 2022, where we celebrated the A7 Centenary, she was on display. The evening before the event opened to the public, the crew opened her up for visits on board. What a fabulous aircraft! The views from the two blister canopies are extraordinary. At 6'3" and long of leg I found it quite an acrobatic feat to get into the cockpit and into a seat - especially as there are dozens of switches, levers etc in the overhead panels just waiting to inflict pain...which they did. Still, I made it...

In September 2023 there was a very interesting sale of a 1/25th share in the company that owns and operates her. 

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/1-19...58486&sd=1

This shot was taken some years ago at Duxford:

A photo of Miss Pickup in the air here
A lovely low mist over Nairn this morning. Just what our engines thrive on.

Great road, great car. Enjoy!
Not so much what I have done with my car, but what someone else is doing. This afternoon, Leon and I spotted a chrome rad two seater Seven motoring towards Bala along the Llangynog road. Later this evening, I saw it parked up at the top end of town a stone's throw from the fire station. Registration starts ARR. Nice little car!
My parents spotted this car today too… the are at Lake Vernwy this evening.
Leo, one of my grandchildren, has just spent a few days in hospital. Upon emerging, repaired, he said, "I'd love some sunshine, fresh air, and some Austineering!"
So, yesterday evening - a particularly beautiful one in the Peak District - his father and I took out two of the Sevens and ambled around the lanes for an hour of enjoyable pottering.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)