The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wing Screw Thread ?
Hi,

Does anyone know what thread is on the wing screws that hold the opening windscreen in place.

I believe they're probably 5/16 but I've no idea if BSW or BSF.

John.
(11-09-2024, 05:43 PM)John P Wrote: Hi,

Does anyone know what thread is on the wing screws that hold the opening windscreen in place.

I believe they're probably 5/16 but I've no idea if BSW or BSF.

John.

BSF is easy to distinguish from BSW, the pitch of BSF is so much finer and easily recognised. These two BSF and BSW charts might help:

Attached Files
.jpg   zz BSF.jpg (Size: 202.64 KB / Downloads: 204)
.jpg   zz BSW.jpg (Size: 194.54 KB / Downloads: 203)
Sorry, probably didn't explain very clearly.

I haven't actually got the wing screws to measure but as I'm about to make the barrel nuts they screw into I need to know what thread they should be tapped.

John.
The thread is normally 5/16 BSW.
That's interesting because the replica ones supplied by Willie McKenzie (http://austinrepro.com/general) are BSW - but my '30 Chummy are 5/16 BSF. When the copies arrived, it was obvious that wouldn't fit, yet the barrels into which they screwed appeared to be the same as those from a '29 Chummy (apart from the thread, of course) and not something somebody had made (unless they had taken enormous care). Both threads work with the same efficiency so I suppose either would do if you are going to make your own wing nuts.
There is more tensile strength in a male BSF thread than in a BSW, but the BSW thread itself is stronger and will better resist getting stripped.