The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Real Cracker.
Another recent acquisition of a very early chummy and a real cracker. 
A beautiful clear image and a Birmingham registration, could even be a publicity shot.

Nice!

I have a cropped version which looks as though it's had a bit of re-touching (the bolts for the radiator mounting are air-brushed out) so your suggestion that it was a factory publicity shot is quite likely.
Lovely picture.

Did the early cars have the starting handle hanging loose?
Hi Robert

Great photo of a very early car. But why is the driver looking so grim?  Perhaps because the early cars have no shock absorbers?

Cheers

Howard
Given that one of the cars that took part in the Boulogne race in August 1923 was registered OK 8945, this car is possibly a '23 model. I also believe it to be a publicity shot as I recognise the driver from other shots. Curious to know who they are, the lady appears younger but very period in her fashionable hat and fox fur. Also the location; the building appears to be some sort of institution with the affixed signs on the end (?) wall and by the door. Anyone from the West Midlands might know?
This picture appears cropped in Chris Harvey's book on page 19.
Also used the "For The Parson" ad. July 27th 1923.

[Image: 8149091900_6c62c441e9_c.jpg]
Excellent find Austin. So almost certainly one of Austin's publicity cars and 1923 not '24.
(03-09-2024, 08:25 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: Excellent find Austin. So almost certainly one of Austin's publicity cars and 1923 not '24.

It's from a copy of LC&CC that I have, as is this one. July 13th 1923. Could be the same car?

[Image: 8149092706_ed0b1e5488_c.jpg]
Sorry Robert, Austin's research prompted me to look at more images. This is dated 25th May 1923. Pretty conclusive to the date of the car.. At least the driver looks a little more cheerful in this one...

In fact, digging just a little deeper, this image is dated October 5th 1923... QED!!