The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering problem
Let's hope the postman doesn't either!
Good evening

I have been reading the mail from Malcolm Parker (2017) about his problem with the steering wheel nut when tightened up jamming the steering box. I have read the various solutions and can see that a circlip could solve the problem. Only problem is that the indent to which I would fit the circlip is up against the end of the outer tube so would not solve the problem. I cannot move the outer shaft even having released the clamping bolt. I am guessing the only solution is to reduce the length of the outer tube or to engineer a tab washer arrangement to prevent the nut undoing. Wondering if any one has any other ideas.

Martin Nash
Crikey, is it that long ago?   I think my steering wheel required two circlips to prevent the column binding solid and I have been using the car regularly since 2017.  I cannot tighten the nut that retains the steering wheel too tightly otherwise the steering becomes stiff.   About every six months the steering wheel will develop a slight amount of play and I need to tighten the nut accordingly. I keep a slim spanner, actually a bicycle spanner, in the tool box just for this job.  Living in rural North Yorkshire, the steering on my car gets quite a lot of use!
Malcolm
Thanks for your reply. I think we may have to either remove the outer shaft and grind an 1/8 inch off the top or alternatively as proposed before make a tab washer that prevents the steering wheel nut coming undone.
Cheers

Martin