The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modified Cam Followers
Race engine cam followers asymmetric inlets 1.6" radius exhausts, shortened (nut taper removed) high tensile locknuts reground tappet screws. Allways check the thread depth of the follower to make sure there is enough metal to grind off.       Terry.    
Thanks again for all the info.
Terry I have just sent you a PM re another matter, hopefully you can help.

All the best,
Paul N-M
(21-08-2024, 05:22 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: I have often wondered if, using the brass cam follower guides from a very early block,  it might be possible to manufacture and fit some fiendishly clever cam followers like those a certain Mr Chapman made for the Ford 1172.

There's probably a good reason why no-one has.

Nick, what book is this from please? Thanks!
Cheers, Geoffrey
Lotus the early years
Okay, thanks Nick.
Cheers, Geoffrey
Does anyone have a view on which cam timing would be best suited for a sports road engine with 3/4" radius cam followers or flat cam followers? And how does a standard cam work with these 2 follower types?
Bruce
A young friend, prominent in VSCC events in his Ulster, has built a vernier valve-time adjustment mechanism. So far he reports that results are inconclusive.
For a road engine there isn’t a lot wrong with a standard cam and 3/4 radius tappets. People used to retard the cam slightly by using a stepped woodruff key but really there are easier ways of getting a bit more out of your engine.
Alan Fairless
I read all the forum entries about go faster tweaks and remember a visit to one of our suppliers some years ago where he had a stack of Seven crankcases nearly as big as my RN saloon, most were cracked on the NS in line with the camshaft. He thought the cause was high lift camshafts, flattened tappets and double valve springs. We are bombarded with adverts for new cars which can do 0 to 60 mph in around 4 seconds but I don't know where these cars are because when I drive my bog standard RN saloon I have to be careful not to ram the guy in front when setting off from the traffic lights. How do drivers accelerate their modern cars so slowly, it's more like gathering momentum?
(24-08-2024, 10:33 AM)Alan Wrote: For a road engine there isn’t a lot wrong with a standard cam and 3/4 radius tappets. People used to retard the cam slightly by using a stepped woodruff key but really there are easier ways of getting a bit more out of your engine.
I won class 1b in the vscc 4 years out of 6 and came 3rd the other two using a standard cam and 3/4” rad followers on a 11/8” SU on a ruby inlet.