The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Steering Wheel cosmetics
My car's steering wheel is a little chipped here and there - well more than a little perhaps. See pic.  Strangely the car seems to steer OK!

Obviously I could

a. Look for a less damaged wheel

b. pay to have it professionally re-moulded.

Can anyone suggest a middle -road with something approaching a paint to fill the gaps??

All help appreciated as usual

The driver is my little American granddaughter - who isn't happy with a "4 on the floor" gearbox.
I covered mine in black leather, machine stitching three strips that fit round the outside of the wheel.

The strips are wide enough that, when hemmed, they meet in the middle of the inside of the rim.

Before hemming they are punched with a series of holes along the hem fold line.

The hemmed edges are hand sewn together, preferably using a curved needle and upholsterer's waxed thread.

If I was at home, I would post a picture, but that won't be for a week or so.

Sounds more difficult to do than it actually is, and you have a nice "feel" to the steering wheel, and the leather soon 
looks like it had been on the car for ever.
If all you want is a bit of camouflage/filler, try some epoxy resin with some black paint added. Worked on mine.
(15-08-2024, 07:32 PM)Slack Alice Wrote: I covered mine in black leather, machine stitching three strips that fit round the outside of the wheel.

The strips are wide enough that, when hemmed, they meet in the middle of the inside of the rim.

Before hemming they are punched with a series of holes along the hem fold line.

The hemmed edges are hand sewn together, preferably using a curved needle and upholsterer's waxed thread.

If I was at home, I would post a picture, but that won't be for a week or so.

Sounds more difficult to do than it actually is, and you have a nice "feel" to the steering wheel, and the leather soon 
looks like it had been on the car for ever.

I don't know if you can buy them any more, but back in the day leather "steering wheel gloves" were available off the shelf - I have one on my Ulster.
I found a nylon cord wrapping works for me, a bit time consuming but once it’s on and you’ve given it the dirty hands treatment it looks suitably distressed…
(15-08-2024, 08:04 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: If all you want is a bit of camouflage/filler, try some epoxy resin with some black paint added. Worked on mine.

I can second that. Used this technique to repair my steering wheel. if done carefully, it can be a virtually invisible and permanent repair.
(15-08-2024, 10:12 PM)David Stepney Wrote:
(15-08-2024, 08:04 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: If all you want is a bit of camouflage/filler, try some epoxy resin with some black paint added. Worked on mine.

I can second that. Used this technique to repair my steering wheel. if done carefully, it can be a virtually invisible and permanent repair.

And I'll third it. Worked for me too and all but invisible.

Steve
I wrapped the tatty bits in black insulating tape and drove it…but that’s me!
Hello Dave, your steering wheel. I’m in Cornwall on holiday in St Mawes so have time to wax lyrical — I remember seeing a beautifully restored house in the Indian Himalayas that appeared to have dung thrown against one corner of the brightly painted front door. I found out that it was the proud owner who had thrown it — he didn’t want to offend the gods for whom perfection is their sole prerogative. You could apply that philosophy to your steering wheel.
If it was me I’d get the wheel professionally restored or left as it is — touching it up may just draw attention to the defects

I’ll get my bucket and spade ……………
While on the subject of steering wheels, does anyone know for certain when the later vintage "flat" steering wheels changed from a pattern of fine dimples on the inside of the rim to the type with "knobbles"? From the images I've been able to find, I'd guess the changed happened in late 1928 for the 1929 season.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)