The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unusual Crankcase
Yesterday I was cleaning up a couple of crankcases to assess which one would be best to use for my next engine build.  I spent a couple of hours on the better one but it was only today that I realised that it was different to other cases I have worked on.
The case is number 164859 and has the date 7.9.32 cast onto it, also a part number 1A558.   It is different around the front timing gear casing and also around the base.  
Photos below and of case 167201 for comparison.                     
The casting has a number of small holes that look like woodworm but these are on the surface only and appear to have occurred during the casting process.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I think this is one of the early 4 speed cases - used on the last of RNs etc, they have similarities with the three speed cases in the areas you highlight.
I'm sure you're right, Ruairidh, comparing it to a 1931 crankcase there are many similarities.  I wonder how the engine number 164859 sits in the RN series.  Perhaps our resident expert on RN's can advise on when the first car with the 4-speed gearbox was produced?
Have a look in the back of Wyatt, or in the index cards on the A7CA Archive site.
First 4 speed was introduced at chassis n° 159534 (Sept 32) but your crankcase is probably very close to RN/RP change-over which occurred at chassis number 162566
Thanks for that, my reference books are still packed away pending the house move, hopefully in the next three or four weeks.
Good morning Malcolm,

I just love the poster !!

Regards

Peter
Your crankcase looks very similar to the one on my car (Engine number 177368) although I do not recall seeing any casting numbers on mine the last time the engine was out. For reference, my car was built in mid-June 1933, has a solid mounted engine and 4 speed crash box.
(08-08-2024, 09:39 AM)ppearson Wrote: Good morning Malcolm,

I just love the poster !!

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter

Shameless promotion?  ??

Howard
Hi Howard,

What a great idea.

These top quality reprinted posters are still available. Printed on 200gms Satin Poster paper

Original size 42" x 29" despatched in a cardboard tube, cost including postage £49.50

A3 size despatched in a cardboard tube, cost including postage £19.50

End of shameless promotion.

Peter