The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - August 2024
August - traditionally the month for the British schools' summer holiday. Dad would book a week's holiday and a suitable venue chosen and booked - probably a caravan on a remote farm or a cheap bed-and-breakfast - usually in one of the far-flung corners of Britain: the Lake District, or perhaps the Norfolk coast, or maybe the New Forest, West Wales or the West Country. 

Wherever it was, it was likely to be a 6 to 8 hour drive - no Motorways to speed the traveller along, and no MacDonalds or Burger King to break the journey. Little Chef opened it's first diner in 1958 but the chances are that wasn't on your route. If you travelled through a sizeable town there might be a Wimpy Bar, but otherwise it was self-catering! So it was down to Mum to make the sandwiches (carefully wrapped in tinfoil - no plastic bags), supplemented by slices of Victoria sponge cake and the ubiquitous Thermos flask of tea or coffee.

A typical scene from the late 1950s or perhaps the early 1960s; both Austins look to be in fine condition, but sadly neither seem to have made it to the twenty-first century. Not surprising for the Big Seven, as even in the late 1960s when the Austin Seven movement was becoming well-established the Big Seven was not popular - some events even proclaiming 'no specials or Big Sevens' - but more surprising that the RP hasn't survived.

The Little Chef on the A303..... You would go in, eye up the menu, order and wait....and wait....and wait.... Lucky if it would show up within an hour! The concept of "fast food" escaped them completely.

If anything dates this picture surely it's the two boys, are they in school uniform?
The location is Dipton Mill Inn near Hexham in Northumberland.

https://www.diptonmill.co.uk

The March 1939 Big Seven carries a VK Newcastle upon Tyne registration and was more than likely supplied by Murray & Charleton, the main Austin Distributor in the area.
It would be Munday's Caravan Park at Bognor Regis (opposite the gasworks) for us. The picnic stop was at the top of "the Trundle" overlooking Goodwood race course. Cucumber sandwiches, hard-boiled eggs and a Thermos of coffee.

We only lived in Midhurst but the journey seemed to take all day. Google tells me it's 36 minutes now. It's a shrinking world.
Thanks, Jeff, for identifying the location.
Hi Mike,

A place I visited many times in the 1960's / 70's / 80's. Around once a year a possibly Manchester based auctioneers held an open air auction of Army Surplus tools in the field behind the pub accessed from the narrow lane to the right - I still have one of the tools I bought.

Jeff.
There is more on this Big 7 and the photo here:

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/austin-big-7.htm

and the Box saloon here:

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/austin-7.htm
Thanks for those links, Colin; that puts some more flesh on the bones of the original photo.
What is that up on the road between the Sevens?
Big Grin 
looks like some kind of DALEK to me!! Big Grin 
Bob