The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I'd have joined Alan at the Swan but some idiots had a collision on the A34 closing it and turning Handforth into grid lock. After half an hour surrounded by large expensive cars and going nowhere I went home. I was surprised at how good the Sevens brakes are when a traffic light controlled controlled roundabout lights turned red and it easily stopped unlike the SUV behind me in the NS lane who shot through the red light.
I wondered where you were Dave.
Alan Fairless
(27-07-2024, 09:16 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: I'd have joined Alan at the Swan but some idiots had a collision on the A34 closing it and turning Handforth into grid lock. After half an hour surrounded by large expensive cars and going nowhere I went home. I was surprised at how good the Sevens brakes are when a traffic light controlled controlled roundabout lights turned red and it easily stopped unlike the SUV behind me in the NS lane who shot through the red light.

Dave: I have a feeling that might have been a difference in attitude and road manners rather than their poor brakes...
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(26-07-2024, 10:18 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Rosedale (the Lion Inn), Farndale, Goathland and though we used to live in Thornton-le-Dale it's lovely but crowded. Anywhere up on the moors above Pickering is beautiful but avoid the weekends! Get an OS map and look at the forestry roads such as Deepdale. Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay are lovely but likely to be very busy.
I hope you have the Primus and camp kettle!.

Yesterday not in the seven we found the A170 from Helmsley to Scarborough was busy with impatient drivers and constant changes of speed through the villages. Robin Hoods Bay was not all that busy and Whitby not all that busy. Goathland was quiet in the evening. Tiny roads through the National Park were deserted around 8pm.
Thanks Andrew

Howard
And lack of observation, the SUV driver didn't notice the Police car that was just setting off on the green light and only got as far as the next lights before being apprehended, I waved at him as I passed Andy.
I rescued a very old, neglected chassis and drivetrain from Connecticut a couple of weeks ago. Since the engine looked pretty good, I decided to see if I could free it up, then put a carb and distributor on it, replace the old broken plugs, put some new oil in it and get it started. I know it’s probably a pipe dream. By now I’ve spent about 20 hours on this engine. I have compression, fuel and spark; no starter. Any ideas about getting it to start? I’m thinking I’ll need to tow it. I can’t get enough oomph with the starting  handle. I’m open to suggestions… Confused
Tow, if you can, or use a 12v battery.

Oil pressure should go off the clock, initially.
Thanks Ruairidh. I’ll try towing it. The starter is toast: even with 12 v it’s barely moving ( spent a few hours on that rabbit hole too). Now my challenge to tow it is this: it’s a British A7 but converted to LHD. The steering column is beyond repair. I have a spare British steering column but the later type: I’ll jury rig that so I can steer it, and the left front brake is cabled up to the handbrake and it works! So one brake should be enough for towing around the backyard?. I’ll post a video if By some miracle this thing starts. It was lying outside in a junk pile for goodness know how long.
Good luck, it all sounds very interesting.