The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
From Saftek in Cleckheaton, via Steve Jones, then my father in law, and then my daughter. I will fit them after the summer. Sounds a bit convoluted but it avoided the post Brexit postal complications.
Hi Reckless,

Saftek's Green Gripper ?

Jeff.
I see that they have done the usual trick of grinding away the edges of the linings and then carrying on to grind edges of the shoes as well ☹️
Yep! Eventually, you end up with 1-inch wide shoes. I told them to be sure not to grind the edges of mine and they did come back untouched.
(25-07-2024, 10:19 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Yep! Eventually, you end up with 1-inch wide shoes....

Although (weirdly) according to common wisdom the reduction in width does not diminish braking effort - it merely causes them to wear down quicker... perhaps there is method in this Wink
Saftek, yes. Green Gripper, I suppose so. Steve can confirm. They are green ish. Finished width is 30,5mm = 1.2"
(25-07-2024, 09:43 AM)David Cochrane Wrote: I see that they have done the usual trick of grinding away the edges of the linings and then carrying on to grind edges of the shoes as well ☹️

If you ask them, they'll leave the edges alone and so prevent them being gradually reduced to 1 inch wide.

Fitted a new "Lucas" replica dashlamp now sold with a "Toby" badge. Might I suggest if you are likewise tempted, don't bother. The bean-direction shield is just pushed on, the loose hinge allows the unit to flap about and the switch action is gritty and crude. At one-third of the price, it might be just about acceptable. Oh well, live and learn.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nominal width of my shoes/linings is 31mm which isn't very far from 1 1/4".(1.22")
On the subject of brake shoes, I've just finished putting new shoes on the front of my Special. I am now wondering if there is different linings recommended for cable brakes. I just took the shoes in to the shop and asked the boys to reline them, without telling them it was for cable brakes. Yesterday I took the car for a wee drive, and was slightly disappointed at the amount of pedal pressure required to stop it. It was fairly difficult to get the wheels to skid on loose gravel at low speed.
Cheers, Geoffrey
(25-07-2024, 01:15 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote:
(25-07-2024, 10:19 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Yep! Eventually, you end up with 1-inch wide shoes....

Although (weirdly) according to common wisdom the reduction in width does not diminish braking effort - it merely causes them to wear down quicker... perhaps there is method in this Wink

Quite so - F = µ x R - it's purely a function of friction coefficient and applied force.

Nothing in life is quite that simple, of course, especially when you're talking about drum brakes. The wider shoes <may> confer other benefits e.g. better capacity to dissipate heat, more stable geometry... or may not...