The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster/ Ulster Rep. Rear Brake Cable Routing
I've built up a replacement rear axle for the Ulster but - having almost finished - spotted a potential issue.

At present the rear brake cables run over the top of the rear crossmember through a bushing, then descend to the brake levers - semi-girling - which are at the 6 o'clock position on the backplate.

The new axle has 1" Austin brakes, and the levers are at the 10 o'clock position, thus somewhat higher up.
I anticipate a possible foul between the cables and front lower corners of wheel arches, which sit very close to the springs.

Obviously not insoluble, but I'd be interested to hear how others have dealt with this? (I can't be alone...) 
Is this a 'known issue' with a 'standard' fix?
The route for the ropes on your replacement axle are as original - is the pinch point on the lip where the body side folds under the floor pan?
This is what it should look like.

Hopefully this makes it clear Ruairidh:

.jpg   20240706_113615 copy.jpg (Size: 442.16 KB / Downloads: 193)
There isn't enough room between the (maroon) body side and the spring for the cable to pass through, if the cable run is raised higher.
It’s a feature of the way your body has been made, Compound Curvature?

You’ll need to trim it or manipulate it so the rope runs clear.
Yep, CC.

I was afraid you'd say that! Oh well, another task to add to the list...

p.s. Robert thanks for the photo, which I think illustrates where the problem lies.
The body on my car is a Compound Curvatures and you can see clearly how much room the brake cable has.
My own car is Conpound Curvature too - one of the very early bodies made around 1985, it is similarly proportioned to Chris’ car.

I have two further CC bodies in the workshop just now, one made on the 1980s and the other about 5 years ago.

The early one has clearance issues, the later one not.
Yes mine is from the early 80's.
How bizarre, mine is a very early body with an all steel bonnet and sides including the louvred one and has stacks of clearance as you can see.