The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TT Ulsters Colour
Hi All,

I wondering what the colour was of the TT Ulsters. I've heard it referred to as "Blood Orange". Does anyone have something a little more precise?

Erich in Mukilteo(where its finally spring)
Hi Erich,
I have a downloaded photo on my computer captioned "1930 TT Car" - I'm afraid I've no idea whose photo/ car it was, or how "original" the paint is, or even how accurately it's reproduced in the photo - but I guess it's a starting point...

there is lots of 'discussion'/questions on the oranges on ulster7.wordpress.com, Erich...
This is the "Canadian car" now in Ireland. Entered the TT so as such a "proper" TT car. Originally cream when delivered to Ireland and appears to have been hastily painted between practice and the race so may not be an accurate shade of orange.

We have the remains of a TT body with some tiny flecks of orange paint, somewhere there are colour references of it. (Maybe the old version of this forum.)

(20-06-2024, 08:02 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Hi Erich,
I have a downloaded photo on my computer captioned "1930 TT Car" - I'm afraid I've no idea whose photo/ car it was, or how "original" the paint is, or even how accurately it's reproduced in the photo - but I guess it's a starting point...
I always understood (or assumed) that the TT cars were more of a vermilion shade, similar to the exposed area at the base of the scuttle in Chris' photo - hence the term Blood Orange.
Shocked 
I have pics of 2 original ulsters. With the caveat that if not calibrated your viewing computer monitor can vary the colours there's definitely a reddish tinge to the orange.

see
https://vintageman.zenfolio.com/p8327790...#h3aef7140
[/url]
https://vintageman.zenfolio.com/p832779081/h3AEF7140#h2fce4076

https://vintageman.zenfolio.com/p832779081/h3AEF7140#h3a9758a2

[url=https://vintageman.zenfolio.com/p832779081]
(20-06-2024, 12:18 PM)Pearls not a Singer Wrote: I have pics of 2 original ulsters. With the caveat that if not calibrated your viewing computer monitor can vary the colours there's definitely a reddish tinge to the orange.

GW has restored and repainted a fair while ago, not sure on the history of paint / body restoration before that. (But it is a lovely car!)

The other car is David Howe's, new body work apart from the petrol tank and therefore relatively new paint.

The cars are only orange because that's how the class system worked in the TT or Irish Grand Prix, (can't remember which). I vaguely remember that part of the car had to be colour coded, (bonnet??) but the Austin team decided to go orange all over.
You could always ask the Duke of Richmond. He has a model of the 1930 Double Twelve car purported to be painted in the same blood orange as the car.
(20-06-2024, 09:11 AM)austin Wrote: This is the "Canadian car" now in Ireland. Entered the TT so as such a "proper" TT car. Originally cream when delivered to Ireland and appears to have been hastily painted between practice and the race so may not be an accurate shade of orange.

We have the remains of a TT body with some tiny flecks of orange paint, somewhere there are colour references of it. (Maybe the old version of this forum.)

(20-06-2024, 08:02 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Hi Erich,

I am intrigued, why is it called the 'Canadian Car?'
From memory it had been in Canada for some years before being brought to Ireland for a major rebuild.