The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Possibly a red herring, but noticed you also have thread looking at the PLC2 main switch.

I have two PLC2 main switches which both had problems with the ignition switch not always
making good contact (so no volts to the coil and not starting).

Basically proved the problem by pushing the key in hard(ish) and then trying to start the car,
which it did, but stopped imediatelly I let go of the key.

Problem on both switches is wear on the the switch. One fixed by taking apart and 'crimping'
the outside of the key holder so the contacts at the bottom of the switch make better contact.
Not a job for the faint hearted as it is a fiddly job to get the switch back together again.

The second switch (fitted to car) has a washer large enough to get the key into, but small enough
to cover the moving part of the switch 'superglued'  on the outside of the switch.

Not pretty but it does work  using 'gel' superglue.

Martin, GM6VXB
I have by-passed the ignition switch and just use a secondary one under the dash. Just don't try and take the PLC apart unless you hve a plastic bag handy and lots of patience.
I did nothing to my seven today, but enjoyed a day at Tractorfest at Newby Hall. Here is my 1955 Austin parked next to one of only two (I think) sevens there today.

Interesting for me today was this 1926 Bullnose Morris van. In 1926 my dad became a delivery driver in a Bullnose Morris van, but this is the first time I've come across one.

That van is superb!
(08-06-2024, 07:04 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: That van is superb!

Apparently Morris never made a van, but this van back end and roof was supplied off the shelf by a coach builders and it was very easily removable.

I wonder if the coachbuilder was Thomas Startin? the details are very reminiscent of a Chummy van.
Only one seven at today's car show at Harewood, and many of us have seen it before. Interestingly there was another seven owner who has recently bought the Rolls Royce. A bit of a contrast from a seven.

In my driveway, today... similarities with the Morris are stark.

Hi All

I’m a driver……but often some distance to ‘shows’.  Not sure if Club Rallies count as shows but we had a 160 mile round trip to Bryngarw for the South Wales A7 rally.  Not the furthest traveled by any means with Phill Snell travelling 180 miles each way from Axminster in Devon (photo of his amazing Ruby may appear in the 2024D Grey Mag)!

Always a super event…..didn’t have time to count the cars but more than thirty, surely.  Youngest exhibitor, just two years old (again photo in the 2024D Grey Mag [2024C is at the printers]).

Just one photo….what a lovely view to wake up to from the tent door…..those cars whose owners had survived the previous night’s bbq  Big Grin.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   IMG_4203.jpeg (Size: 105.22 KB / Downloads: 170)
My son and his girlfriend were down for the weekend so I let him drive Primrose to "Family Fun at the Farm" at the nearby village of Buriton. 

.jpg   2024-06-09-Primrose-Buriton2.jpg (Size: 184.07 KB / Downloads: 118)    

It is always a fabulous event at a beautiful farm beneath the South Downs with many traditional village fete amusements, BBQ, live music, open gardens and tractor rides, as well as a classic car show. It raises money for a local hospice and is a great day out. Very sadly the last one as the lady who organises it has found the red-tape involved is too much of a burden.

The last bank holiday should have been the annual car show and autojumble just up the road at the Queen Elizabeth Country Park and next Sunday would have been the Father's Day car show at Liphook, both discontinued for the same reason.  Sad