The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil filler tube, part missing ?
Been trying to get my head round a minor but iritating problem I have with the oil filler tube.
Suspicion is a part (filter ?) missing, but not sure.

Basically when the engine has run for any time, when I take the oil filler cap off there is always
a small amount of oil near the top of the filler tube. No leaks so suspicion is oil splashing up the tube
and setting in the lip near the top of the tube..

Looking at the parts book the filler tube is shown as BA128 complete with parts BA129 and 130.
Now BA 130 is the filler cap, so I am guessing that BA129 is some sort of filter ?.

I know at some time in the past I did see some reference to this but more pointing to filling with oil
rather than stopping oil splashing up the pipe.

Anyone know what the 'missing' part is and how to make/buy one ?.

Thanks,

Martin, GM6VXB
Martin, The part you are referring to is a conical mesh filter with fits into the filler tube, a little like an inverted witches hat. Rarely found in engines these days, I've only had one car with it fitted and it was in bad shape anyway. Designed purely as a filter, not to prevent upward splashing, although I suppose it would have prevented some I expect. I wouldn't worry about the splashes, all part of everything thrashing about below!
A cylindrical filter was also fitted in the petrol filler neck, I have one in my Top Hat. Useless really as with the force that modern pumps deliver fuel these days, if left in you end with fuel all over your boots...and everywhere else.
Thanks for the information Chris.

Suspect the filter was more for stopping bits dropping into the sump rather than stopping oil
passing upwads. As there are no oil leaks and I am using clean oil I will not chase further.

Martin, GM6VXB
Martin,

If you join the 'Austin 7 Original Detail' private group on Facebook, there's a photo of said 1930 conical mesh oil filler tube filter posted by 'Austin Nippy'.

Jeff.
You are concerning yourself over something that is a non issue. Very few sevens today still have the conical filter present and in practice it serves no real purpose other than stopping you dropping things into the crankcase.
Black Art Enthusiast
Ian,

I agree. I doubt I have an accurate enough aim to drop something down the tube, but you never know !.
I am much better at dropping nuts down the side of the engine then spending ages trying to find them.

Really my main concern was seeing a part number for the gauze filter in the parts book, but no description.
If it was in the parts book then it must have been fitted for a particular reason.

If the seal on the filler cap is good then there is no real issue. Faulty (or missing) seal could be a different matter
as there is potential for a lot of oil spraying over that side of the engine. 
Noting some who have had problems with starter motors catching fire due to oil in the start switch, I wonder if 
this could have been part of the cause.

I am still learning a lot on the Austin, some things are pretty obvious when you know what they are, but no
diagram or expaination makes things a bit diffiucult (and sometimes confusing).
Lots of reading and 'Googling' sometimes finds the solution but not always.

Martin, GM6VXB
I'm going to take measurements of that gauze for Oxfordshire Sevens, as they are interested in remaking...  
I won't put the photo here, as the more people who join the FB Original Detail group the better!
Well, there are a lot of people here who aren't fans of Facebook. As you are a fan of sharing knowledge, Jon, it would be a shame if you excluded this audience from anything...

just my two penne'th...
I have to agree Hugh, I’m a Facebook member, but find it such a pain being bombarded with so much nonsense on the site, I only have a look when I really, really need to and that’s not often!
Well you learn something every day. I never knew there was such a part.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.