The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telescopic shock absorbers
The £6 cost of the dampers in 1928 would be around £466 today. So, if an original pair could be found and rebuilt, they would certainly make an interesting talking point - if make no difference to the already impeccable handling, steering and roadholding of a Seven. A very interesting picture of a Cup so fitted.
(31-05-2024, 12:52 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: The £6 cost of the dampers in 1928 would be around £466 today. So, if an original pair could be found and rebuilt, they would certainly make an interesting talking point - if make no difference to the already impeccable handling, steering and roadholding of a Seven. A very interesting picture of a Cup so fitted.

I don't know whether it's the period style pre-Photoshop school of highlighting but I'm wondering if that picture is taken from life

Yes, I'm a terrible cynic
Many thanks ton you all for your comments and advice. I understand the concerns that telescopic shock absorbers are not a good design match for small suspension travel and torsionally weak chassis frames. However my own experience of using them on the rear of a MG PB which has less rear suspension travel than on an Austin 7 was that they transformed the handling and comfort so whilst the chassis dynamics may not get the maximum performance from the shock absorbers they certainly worked much better than the standard shock absorbers!

Because they obviously look very different to the standard friction shock absorbers on an Austin 7
and were not often fitted to “standard” cars I appreciate that the visual shock will be unacceptable to many.

Howard, I think your balanced view sums up the position well.

Hairy, your comments are interesting, particularly as reproduction Rotaflo reproductions are available.

Steve, I hasten to assure you I am not a hairdresser but nonetheless wish to be able to steer clear of hedges without drama so having less camber on the rear springs and using rubber “bungs” between front spring ends and front axle also seem sensible……

Charles, I understand your view and I don't think you are being a terrible cynic. Looking at the advert closely I can see no mountings between car and shocks! I think photos of car and shocks have been merged and we are looking at a 'deep fake'! But that doesn't 't mean they were never fitted.