The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boring out 3 brg crankcase for 2 brg crank
Anyone know what diameter cutter I need to use to machine out the centre bearing to clear the crank?
You could give VINCE LEEK a call he doesn't do this mod any more (now semi-retired) but may be able to give some advise.
I have just measured the one Vince Leek did for me a few years ago; as near as I can judge it's 4.75 inches diameter. I took a picture which I hope is of some use.     Vince also put diagonal grooves in the camshaft centre bearing so that splash would spread oli into it.
I think it is unlikely that I shall use this crankcase, so I am open to offers.
Thanks for the reply Robert.
In the end I measured a two bearing case,well the thickness of the aluminum casting surrounding the bearing sleeve and took that away from the crank / cam centres and got a similar figure to you.
I did speak to Vince for his advice which was very helpful,I’ve never machined one out before in thirty odd years.I’ll post a picture of the set up of how it was done when in the workshop.
Here in the lathe,I did consider doing it on the Bridgeport as I can get around 2’ between spindle and bed if necessary but settled for this.    
Good work with the flying nail Dave.