The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Visibility and colour
I use a flashing red rear light on a retractable 20 inch stalk mounted to the rear carrier of my bicycle (and a flashing white on the handlebars). I use it daily to go for the paper at around 7 am and in the winter it is invaluable. I used to get pushed into the gutter by cars coming up behind me and, while they will stop for a duck or cat crossing the road, cyclists seem to be regarded as legitimate target practice!
Ah, cyclists…they hunt in packs around here, ignoring the rules of the road…
tall/roofline flashing amber beacons seem to be allowable for 25mph and less....
(19-05-2024, 09:10 PM)JonE Wrote: tall/roofline flashing amber beacons seem to be allowable for 25mph and less....

Question. How do I de-tune an Austin seven so it cannot manage 26mph?
"Ah, cyclists…they hunt in packs around here, ignoring the rules of the road…:
They generally tear through our village in lycra-clad groups too but never more than two abreast which is permissible I believe. Safety in numbers is critical as the main rule of "steam gives way to sail" is totally ignored by most motorists.
I have been forced onto the pavement so many times by idiots, including horse box & Rice trailer towers, that I stop in the middle of the carriageway and ask "would you do that if I was on horseback?" Red faces abound!

The road outside our house on the Main Street here is only just 5M wide (17th century,built for the occasional passing of a couple of ox-carts) with the school on the opposite side. The drivers of the enormous "jelly-mould" people carriers which have taken over the world are convinced that 40mph is the modern equivalent of 20mph outside schools....
We used to live in Thornton-le-Dale when I was a teenager and the high pavements on the Main Street were wonderful. Usually 2'-2ft 6" above the carriageway with occasional steps down to road level which tended to keep cars in their place
Sadly Duncan, around here they are often four abreast, not looking both ways at junctions and turning straight onto the major roads, it’s a wonder there aren’t more accidents.

Riding motor cycles for more than half a century and still here to tell the tale, I wouldn’t dream of riding a pushbike they way some of these idiots do…like you, I agree steam gives way to sail and I slow down for pedestrians, horses and cyclists, but they don’t…we’ve even timed cyclist through our village exceeding the speed limit by a hefty margin, it seems they are under the impression the rules of the road don’t apply.

I’ll get off my soap box now and get on my bike….motor bike!
(20-05-2024, 03:14 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Sadly Duncan, around here they are often four abreast, not looking both ways at junctions and turning straight onto the major roads, it’s a wonder there aren’t more accidents.

Riding motor cycles for more than half a century and still here to tell the tale, I wouldn’t dream of riding a pushbike they way some of these idiots do…like you, I agree steam gives way to sail and I slow down for pedestrians, horses and cyclists, but they don’t…we’ve even timed cyclist through our village exceeding the speed limit by a hefty margin, it seems they are under the impression the rules of the road don’t apply.

I’ll get off my soap box now and get on my bike….motor bike!

And there's the rub Ivor - they don't. Cyclists are not bound by the speed limit - though heaven knows why not. Nor are they under any obligation to use cycle paths which are built at huge expense for their benefit - the only blue signs I'm aware of which are "advisory". High time in my humble opinion that cyclists were brought into line with other road users.
Although cyclists may not be bound by speed limits, I think the offence of ‘wanton and furious cycling’ still exists…
As a driver and cyclist I feel there are good and bad drivers , and good and bad cyclists. The problem is people. People nowadays don't want to obey rules, they just do as they please.

I find that drivers take no notice of double white lines in the middle of the road whether I am on my bike with 4 or 5 others, or driving the seven. I've also had much faster cyclists overtake at speed with only inches to spare, when I'm on my bike. Driving the seven I find cyclists generally like it and respect the seven more than car drivers do.

Overtaking by cars and bikes seems to happen without thought. On a push bike many drivers overtake in the middle of junctions, or roundabouts. And fast bikes do the same.

But out on bikes yesterday we were very carefully overtaken by about 4 separate groups of middle aged motorbikers on machines made by Triumph, BSA, Norton and other manufacturers long gone. They were a pleasure to see and hear.

We don't seem to be very visible on a sunny day. But the lass driving behind me not only saw the Austin, but recognised it was me and sent a few photos.

As for the road marking, what is    OW meant to tell any driver?

I have to agree Andrew and what a truly wonderful photograph!