The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby Engined Motorbike
This is unusual?

.jpg   Norton.jpg (Size: 239.37 KB / Downloads: 432)

It is for sale on ebay (I don't know the seller - usual disclaimers.):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/135048664718

and there is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pMEnwthBs
There was, of course the Brough, which used the Seven motor, but a surprising number of specials like this Norton have been built, some well engineered, others a bit shaky!
I think its dreadful!   A standard 350 or 500 Norton would no doubt run rings round it.   I imagine that it hasn't done much mileage in its life.   Plenty of chromed domed nuts to polish!
(10-05-2024, 10:06 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: I think its dreadful!   A standard 350 or 500 Norton would no doubt run rings round it.   I imagine that it hasn't done much mileage in its life.   Plenty of chromed domed nuts to polish!

Stop sitting on the fence Malcolm.

For some people parking in a field and polishing their chrome is what they want from a hobby, although it seems about as much fun as watching paint dry to me.
I agree with what Malcolm said.
Alan Fairless
Put a chair on it and start chasing Morgans.
Nice bike, nice engine, but not a great combination methinks.
(10-05-2024, 11:29 AM)Steve kay Wrote: Put a chair on it and start chasing Morgans.

That’s probably all you’ll do - chase them
But doesn’t “chase” imply some hope of catching?
Alan Fairless
Why would you for goodness sake? OK it looks well executed but a single cylinder 500cc Norton is capable of delivering 30 bhp. You'd be lucky to get nuch much more than half of that out of a standard late Ruby engine not to mention the weight and handling disadvantages. Might have been OK in Lawrence of Arabia's time but not later.