The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Greetings! New owner from India
I knew things were going too well today, I made the new choke flap and then removed the carburetor from our car when disaster struck it came off in two pieces with a chunk out of the mounting flange.     You can see over 50% of the fracture is dirty and it's been hanging on waiting for me to fit it to an engine which is a problem with mazak castings. I repaired a similar failure some years ago however, to be sure of structural integrity it had something resembling the Forth Bridge to make sure it didn't fall off.
It also explains why it had a high idle speed due to leakage across the fracture.
It’s always the way, when you are helping someone else, Dave.

I may be able to help you with a good body, let me look and come back to you.
Shameless promotion of wing tanks...
However, India being a noted home for skilled metalworkers I'm sure you'll find a local tinsmith who could do the job for you

Attached FilesThumbnail(s)

Many thanks Ruairidh. I knew I had a photo of the 22FZB with half the Forth bridge on it, it doesn't look pretty but it works.    
That is one helova repair!

Would this help you, Dave?

Oh shoot! These mazak carbs really are weak! 

Dave, don't worry about it. I know you guys have a lifetime of experience with all things Austin and I know the carb is in good hands. 

Considering it already had a significant fracture from earlier and just holding on (the dirty part shows this very clearly), I'm rather glad it broke in the UK at an expert's set-up. Had it not broken now, it definitely would have broken in India and back here, we'd be scratching our heads wondering what to do.

Could I also send you the bronze 22 FZ carb for checking out and setting up? At least then I would have a back-up in case this FZB decides to disintegrate in due course.

Hi Duncan,

Yes, I have a very good tinsmith, who worked wonders during my 1958 Mercedes Ponton resto. Your tanks look great!

I just picked up a period Shell 2 gallon petrol tank which we will rework back here for mounting.

I attach a photo.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I keep saying you can repair most things on a Seven and you can't break that mounting flange, yes that will do perfectly how much is it?
Mazak casting can be fragile if the casting is not 100% pure, if it is kept in damp conditions or if it is abused as this one has been. I've run the mazak 22 FZB carburetors on our 3 cars for the last 40 years without a failure.
I suppose you are right in thinking it was better for it to break now however from my experience of 6 months in Kolkata 40 years ago there are some seriously skilled artisans in India who can repair almost anything, I've no doubt they would have cast a replacement in bronze.
I don't think Prithvi is interested in it, Dave. If you ever need it, for your own cars, I will happily sort something out for you.
Hi Ruaridh,

Yes of course I'm interested in it! 

Dave and I spoke on the phone and I informed him that you have offered a spare body since he hadn't seen your reply at that time. Let me know how we can sort this out please. I will pm you.

I am also sending the bronze carb to Dave so that he can test and adjust the settings, to keep as a backup, but it's the FZB I would like to use.
I am sure your bronze one will do the job, better actually.