The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction from a New Owner!
Thanks both.

So far everything seems to have come apart quite easily, presumably thanks to the liberal soaking! The rear hub nut needed a bar extension and the weight of a slightly pudgy middle aged chap on the end of it though!

Out with the old, in with the new… Until I have had a chance to actually get it out under Its own power, I’ll leave it at just cleaning everything and replacing these for now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Your half shaft key way is much longer and wider than standard, it should not normally extend into the threaded section.

These can be changed most easily when you replace the diff seals.
Well, after further investigation, it is clear that Mr Bodger has been here too!

I am missing both washers either side of the bearing, and perhaps more worryingly the channel for the half shaft key is quite badly damaged.

I presume this means new half shafts?!

My home made parts washer has been going over time though!!

I suspect that you will need to replace not only the half shafts, but the internal diff oil seals, the hubs, woodruff keys and the retaining nuts, etc. It's amazing that the hubs haven't stripped with that much thread missing. The brake levers don't look original either. I hope Santa's going to be generous...
More good news then!!!
Tom,

don't despair, this is all reasonably normal and easily fixed, all will be good!
I am in your hands from hereon! See you in November!

Out of interest, which way should these seals be installed?

Also, I assume it is not normal to have Italian made bearings…

The open side of the seal goes towards the oil/grease.
(20-08-2023, 06:41 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Tom,

don't despair, this is all reasonably normal and easily fixed, all will be good!

I honestly hoped (and for some reason had convinced myself!) that it would be a simple case of taking everything apart, cleaning, and putting it all back together again whilst refreshing with minor service parts as I went. How wrong I was!!

Thank you for your support!

(20-08-2023, 09:20 PM)David Cochrane Wrote: The open side of the seal goes towards the oil/grease.

Thank you David!!
(20-08-2023, 06:59 PM)Leisureking Wrote: I am in your hands from hereon! See you in November!

Out of interest, which way should these seals be installed?

Also, I assume it is not normal to have Italian made bearings…

RIV Bearings were Italian Owned now an SKF Company. 

Another later replacement bearing- originally would have been most likely R&M or SKF.