The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
I would take the plugs out, half a teaspoon of petrol into each plug hole, plugs back in without delay and start it with the handle. Any delay and the fuel will vaporize and push the air out.
Waiting on parts to do a full re-build on the rear end. Cleaned and painted everything
I can so had a look around the front end of the car incase I have missed anything.

Noticed  a drip of water from the side water branch so decided to have a look and
change the gasket as not done before.
Branch off, no gasket, just a smear of bathroom sealant !. Good cleanup and fitted
with a 'proper' gasket. Well better check the top water branch as well.
You guessed it, bathroom sealer !.
So, so far the sump, tappet cover, side and top water branches have all had bathroom
sealer gaskets rather than 'proper' gaskets fitted.
I did have a very small water leak around the cylinder base gasket area (fixed but watching).
I wonder if this has bathroom sealant as well !.

Martin, GM6VXB.
Hi All

Two trips into Malton yesterday morning, food shopping then an emergency run to pick up a new electric hookup ours having failed. In the afternoon a trip to my ancestral home. Unfortunately the Howard’s of Castle Howard are absolutely no relation.

.jpeg   IMG_4310.jpeg (Size: 34.16 KB / Downloads: 471)

Today a pilgrimage to Thornton in Dale (a testament to how bored my evening TV viewing has become!). Then the forest road through Dalby Forest to Scarborough.  Unfortunately we came to a halt half way round. Battery problems yet again.  With short runs, lots of stops and the dynamo 3rd brush set too low the battery had been caned. We did get started again and with the dynamo 3rd brush almost at full strength the longish run back from Scarborough along the A64 seems to have helped a bit.  We’ll see tomorrow if it has held charge over night.  If not it’s down to York for a new battery!

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   IMG_4315.jpeg (Size: 31.61 KB / Downloads: 469)

.jpeg   IMG_7475.jpeg (Size: 41.71 KB / Downloads: 469)
Today I had a visit from an editor of the local newspaper. He wants to write a report about the founding of our new local classic car club, and I was chosen because I have the most interesting cars. Yes, Austin Seven! Big Grin After a two-hour interview, lots of questions and answers, there was a photo session and a short tour. The young editor was very impressed, because the oldest car he had ever sat in was, as he said, a 1970s WV Jetta. Wink

I'm excited about the newspaper report.

The two fotos show the beginnings of the legendary Olli Funk collection...  Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Excellent stuff! Flying the flag for Austin 7s in Switzerland !!
Just fitted new plug leads.  Nothing wrong with the old black ones, but these match the red and black colour of the car, so that's got to be an improvement !

Crikey John! Is that a piece of art or does it actually run?

Mine’s covered in oil and dust!
Hi Ivor

It runs exceptionally well, thanks to an overhaul only 300 miles ago ! Plenty of time yet for the oil and dust to build up, but the various silicone gaskets from our cherished suppliers are doing a good job so far.
That's a very interesting inlet manifold there John with what appears to be 9E84 on it.
It's used with a prewar sidedraught 1 1/8 inch SU. Supplied by Tony Betts years ago. The 9E84 is tongue in cheek I suspect ! Exhaust manifold is reproduction Nippy style with the hot spot blanked off, also from Tony. I don't know how many he had made and supplied but it must have been small numbers.