The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(25-07-2024, 01:15 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote:
(25-07-2024, 10:19 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Yep! Eventually, you end up with 1-inch wide shoes....

Although (weirdly) according to common wisdom the reduction in width does not diminish braking effort - it merely causes them to wear down quicker... perhaps there is method in this Wink

(26-07-2024, 04:50 AM)Chris KC Wrote:
(25-07-2024, 01:15 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote:
(25-07-2024, 10:19 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Yep! Eventually, you end up with 1-inch wide shoes....

Although (weirdly) according to common wisdom the reduction in width does not diminish braking effort - it merely causes them to wear down quicker... perhaps there is method in this Wink

Quite so - F = µ x R - it's purely a function of friction coefficient and applied force.

Nothing in life is quite that simple, of course, especially when you're talking about drum brakes. The wider shoes <may> confer other benefits e.g. better capacity to dissipate heat, more stable geometry... or may not...
Thought experiment: reduce the lining width to 1/16" and test. Replace drums with 4-inch wide and repeat. Result?
Reduce lining thickness to 1/16" and it will fail under the load needed to generate brake force; increase to 4" and it will never bed in - simples. For any width in between which is capable of sustaining the necessary load and which can make proper contact with the drum, the brake force is simply µ x R...
Sometimes we meet to talk about Austin Sevens. Other times we just go to the pub.

Attached Files
.jpeg   IMG_0880.jpeg (Size: 124.24 KB / Downloads: 302)
Alan Fairless
Hi All

Spent the morning preparing for our Yorkshire holiday. 5 nights camping in Slingsby setting off on Sunday.

So as well as getting the awning, camp mats and all the other paraphernalia ready I winched the Special in the back of the van.

.jpeg   IMG_4308.jpeg (Size: 99.39 KB / Downloads: 287)

Any recommendations for drives out gratefully received.

Cheers

Howard
I have the routes for runs we have done on the Yorkshire Experience. Will scan some and email to you. All routes are A7 friendly. Also - a trip to the gliding club on top of Sutton Bank is worthwhile. Cafe on site and fab views. Not far from where you are staying.
(26-07-2024, 05:05 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: I have the routes for runs we have done on the Yorkshire Experience. Will scan some and email to you. All routes are A7 friendly. Also - a trip to the gliding club on top of Sutton Bank is worthwhile. Cafe on site and fab views. Not far from where you are staying.

Thanks Nick

Sutton bank was on my list.

Cheers

Howard
Howard - you have mail...
I drove down Sutton Bank half an hour ago (not in the seven) and I think the car in front went the whole way down without touching the brakes.
Rosedale (the Lion Inn), Farndale, Goathland and though we used to live in Thornton-le-Dale it's lovely but crowded. Anywhere up on the moors above Pickering is beautiful but avoid the weekends! Get an OS map and look at the forestry roads such as Deepdale. Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay are lovely but likely to be very busy.
I hope you have the Primus and camp kettle!.
Thanks Duncan

Howard