The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(25-06-2024, 10:44 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(25-06-2024, 06:24 PM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: Had a prospective purchaser for the Ulster call this afternoon.  I took him for a test drive up the village, he was most impressed with how the car pulled in top gear.   On the way back I was waved down by a film crew in the village and was interviewed by Helen Skelton who was filming for a Channel 5 series to be shown in September called Yorkshire Great and Small.   The crew also filmed my RL saloon that was parked up in the farmyard.
And yes Helen is as lovely as she appears on TV and my prospective buyer wants the Ulster.   I've just had a glass of chilled Guinness, life doesn't get much better!

How can your life be improved by the absence of an Ulster (despite Ms Skelton)?

The Ulster is going to a good home and will be used in VSCC events by a young member.   I still have two saloons and the sprint car (almost ready!) so I have enough to keep me happy.   Austin 7's are like glasses of red wine, two or three are very pleasant but too many give you a headache!
This morning I have thrown a bucket of water over Wendolene in preparation for the run to Beaulieu on Friday.

Young Leon has managed to get some weekend work for a company that hires out narrow boats from Trevor canal basin. One of the mechanics there runs a 103E Ford Popular as his daily transport. 
Inevitably, Leon told him about the Seven, so I was commanded to collect him from work in it on Tuesday evening. The next hour was spent looking at both cars, going for test drives and generally being ‘anoraky’.
Leon took the photos and sent them to me on Messenger, so here are a couple taken the the carpark of the Telford Inn adjacent to the basin.        
(27-06-2024, 10:27 AM)David Stepney Wrote: Young Leon has managed to get some weekend work for a company that hires out narrow boats from Trevor canal basin. One of the mechanics there runs a 103E Ford Popular as his daily transport. 
Inevitably, Leon told him about the Seven, so I was commanded to collect him from work in it on Tuesday evening. The next hour was spent looking at both cars, going for test drives and generally being ‘anoraky’.
Leon took the photos and sent them to me on Messenger, so here are a couple taken the the carpark of the Telford Inn adjacent to the basin.

That 103E is a long way from Essex.
I had a 103e I bought from a farmer in Suffolk, it had never really been touched apart from general servicing and I have to say it was a cracking car…compared to the Seven, it was voluminous inside.
(27-06-2024, 10:41 AM)Nick Lettington Wrote:
(27-06-2024, 10:27 AM)David Stepney Wrote: Young Leon has managed to get some weekend work for a company that hires out narrow boats from Trevor canal basin. One of the mechanics there runs a 103E Ford Popular as his daily transport. 

That 103E is a long way from Essex.

Given that they were built at Dagenham, I suppose that many of them were! Smile

And, Yes Ivor, the Ford felt huge inside after the Seven. The big Lad in the photos (Leon’s boss Adam) couldn’t actually get behind the wheel of the Seven. He was just too tall.
Those Fords with twin transverse springs were a nightmare to corner, I was used to the Seven's handling when I was asked to ferry Mother' Ford home and I nearly lost it.
When I had one the non-original Panhard rod on the front made a great difference. Registered WPE--- it was known as 'Weepy'.
I took the saloon to the monthly VSCC meeting in Ripon.  The fine weather brought out a good selection of cars, mostly open and sporty in nature.   The dark green Lancia Beta Coupe is a real rarity, there being less than a dozen known to be roadworthy.   This one has a race tuned engine that has taken the power up to 180bhp.   The owner was very pleased when I remembered to take him an original sales brochure for the car.   I always like to think that I give people good advice but back in the 1970's I did suggest that my Father should buy a Lancia Beta!            
Malcolm, that was good advice. Lancia Betas were very nice cars. The supplementary advice you forgot was “don’t keep it longer than six months”
Alan Fairless