The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
A very pretty car Malcolm, I've always liked the proportions of the SWB saloons.

Jon, the filler has a disc attached to the filler tube to close off the gap when the bonnet is shut. No seals but it works well enough. For a car that in years past was my everyday transport I've benefited from being able to check the fuel level / fill up without having to un-strap the bonnet. I quite like the sporty pretence of a quick release filler too. 
  Big Grin

(16-06-2024, 10:52 AM)Graham Barker Wrote: My Ruby has run rich ever since I bought it over 3 years ago. It still ran rich after putting a couple of extra washers under  the needle valve. Replacing the needle valve also made no improvement. Today I took out the float and compared it with a float from another carburetor while floating in water. The float on the left in the photo is the one removed from the car. It is a little lower than the other float. So I have now installed the right hand float in the car and will see how that performs. 

I would have thought that jet size would have more effect on rich running than float chamber height ????
Surely all the float does is cut of the fuel when the chamber is full ??? Just a thought.
Hi Bluebird,  As it is a standard engine with the standard jets, I didn't think it right to mess with the jets. Maybe that's an avenue I should explore?
Fuel level in the bowl will directly affect the mixture when running. It needs to be at the correct level as specified for the carburettor. The level can adjusted by the thickness of washers under the valve.
Once the level is correct the jet size can be adjusted to give the right mixture.
Jets can wear. All those gallons of fuel running through them for all those years does enlarge them.
Jim
Good morning Steve and Malcolm,
The Nippy engine did indeed come from the Thirsk area so I think you're correct in your assumptions. I'm extremely pleased to have come across it and managed to secure the unit and your comments regarding its quality are certainly encouraging and back up my own thoughts that it really was too good to miss - especially as there aren't that many in circulation anyway. I'm sure there will be a number of disappointed people who would also have loved to buy it.
There is also a very nice 65, complete with a "real" engine currently for sale at the same location and also, I believe, an MG TF. I'm sure the vendor wouldn't mind me passing on his contact details if anyone needs them?
Best wishes,
Nick
Thanks, Jim. I will consider jets if the exchanged float doesn't weaken the mixture sufficiently. 
Regards, Graham.
Been over to see my mate Phil at his château, to help him with some tiling. I thought I'd get the RP out and give it an airing seeing as it was a nice day. Below taken whilst climbing up from La Grand' Combe towards Laval Pradel. Car running well, pulling hard in 3rd at 25-30mph and showing 2,5 psi on the oil gauge.  28°C ambient.

[Image: 20240619-115631.jpg]
Ooh stoppit! you're making me jealous as a sunny day without rain is a luxury we seem to have been deprived of by a rampant jet stream (according to the Met. Office)
That's all well and good but look at the traffic - it's like the M25. I tell you Margaret, I don't belieeeeve it!

If it makes you feel any better, it has rained today.
I made an early morning trip across the Auckland Harbour Bridge before the traffic built-up to test the speed of my Ruby  climbing the bridge. I have wanted to cross it to bring my Ruby to vintage Austin events organised by the North Shore branch of the Vintage Austin Register, but was concerned that it might be a third gear slope and that I would be harassed by impatient moderns. It doesn't seem very steep in the photo, but it is an 8.3 % gradient. 
Anyway the Ruby, loaded with heavy toolkits, etc to simulate the weight of a passenger, made it in top gear at 33 mph each way. There was a moderate cross-wind, so no wind advantage either way. This shouldn't irritate the moderns too much.