The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crashed Ruby today.
If the assessor has admitted he doesn't know what he's looking at, then insist that the insurance company sends someone that does!
Terrible looking at the RN, but from a technical perspective it looks like a good crumple zone was created, with the passenger area relatively untouched. Helped by the impact being on the passenger side so looks like the steering column is likely still roughly in place. Also looks like the impact was slightly above the engine height so rad pushed into the air space.
All said in the hope that there were no serious injuries
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I should have added that there was no serious injury in either of these collisions. The owner of the RN was incredibly fortunate not to be badly hurt - with three cracked ribs and a deep cut on his leg, he got off very lightly indeed.

The classification of the car is deeply questionable, especially as the insurer offered to reduce the category in exchange for payment, but the owner has already waited far too long for settlement and didn't want to delay any longer.

The damage to the RN is on a par with Andrew's Ruby, with the addition of a slight upwards bend of both chassis rails just ahead of the front cross-member. These can certainly be straightened and reinforced - and indeed will be. The car will eventually be repaired, but will have to be re-registered with an age-related plate unless some retrospective haggling is possible.

The damage was caused when a car that had been waiting in a left-hand side road suddenly pulled out in front of the RN, which was only about 30 yards away and travelling at 40+mph.
For those of a ghoulish disposition, the dashcam footage can be found on the Austin Seven Facebook group.
The situation I hate where modern car driver sees old car and thinks slow car.
That is if they see an Austin 7 at all. I find the modern driver in his heavily insulated sh*t box doesn't seem to see anything at all. 

Recently the end of our unfortunately well used suburban street was closed off to install a raised pedestrian crossing (best of luck with that ). Lots of signs including detour signs saying local traffic only plus a large raised illuminated sign noting the road was closed. 

When I was idly watching the traffic rush past I saw least three large four wheel drive (I call them trucks) drove down to the closure, stopped, then backed and filled to turn around and finally take the detour.

We must take great care when driving a Austin 7 in modern traffic. I always keep a good braking distance which is an invitation to some idiot to rush past and fill it. We all catch up at the next traffic light.
I drive my Seven all the time and I know I’ve said this before I drive it like I ride my motor cycle…as if everyone is out to kill me!

Seems to have worked for the past 55 years…
I have now finished repairing the Ruby and took it on a test drive today. All seems well. Need to adjust the tracking, and a new set of tyres looms.

I have now finished repairing the Ruby and took it on a test drive today. All seems well. Need to adjust the tracking, and a new set of tyres looms.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I always watch cars in side roads and who might be going to pull out carefully. They do assume you are slow. Used to have the same problem when driving 2CVs
Here in Melrose we seem to have a lot of drivers aspiring to be BMW owners. They are practicing not using indicates so they'll be used to it.
Jim
Not a criticism, Andrew, just an observation. Your Ruby looks very low at the front. Have you got the right "set" on the replacement front spring, or is it just the effect of the "Nobbies" lifting the rear? The Laird of Bairsden may be able to advise...(unless it's just me)
The spring is a standard height - Andrew commented on it looking low to me earlier.

Not sure why it looks so.

This is our similar car side on, same set on the front spring.