The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Count Your Blessings
If you feel like going back in time, to the days before the arrival of the motor car when people either walked, or travelled on horseback or by stagecoach. Have a read at Robert Louis Stevenson's "Travels with a donkey in the Cévennes". It's a travelogue of his journey from Le Monastier to Alès (Alais as it was then) to meet up with his fiancée. Some enterprising wag sold him a donkey called Modestine to carry his baggage. It was the model with one forward gear and two reverse...

The young people who rely on "lets eat" and similar apps on their social media devices wouldn't have a clue...
(04-08-2021, 12:12 PM)Mick Hobday Wrote: "top 1% of taxpayers who contribute a full 30% of all income tax collected."
And maybe it should be even more than 30%?  The top 1% "earn" obscene amounts of money, far more than they can possibly ever need, hence they end up buying yet another little-used superyacht, and yet another luxury home in a fashionable city somewhere in the world, or even flights into space. None of which helps to ease the many problems facing mankind at the present time.

Yes, it's highly amusing the Bozo bangs on about "climate change" then launches himself and friends (or were they paying guests) on a rocket into the hight heavans. What on earth can he be thinking?
It’s good to see we have a mix of “right wing gammon bigots” and “Guardian reading commie queers” on the forum ??
That sounds to me to be pretty much like-minded.

We also have a lot of very nice happy A7 owners, more to the point! And I'd hate them to be put off by all this "grumpy old git arguing". This is not what I come to the A7 friend's forum for.
Neither do I but always raise to the bait! What's worse, I'm old enough to know better...
(04-08-2021, 02:21 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: It’s good to see we have a mix of “right wing gammon bigots” and “Guardian reading commie queers” on the forum ??

I wonder which category the Toyota man is from ?
Ann, if you don't like the topic don't open it. Yes there are a lot of grumpy old men on this site myself included. I guess we welcome the opportunity to vent against the chattering class and seeing the world as we knew it being destroyed by overpopulation, our freedom being eroded by political correctness and other madnesses being shoved down our throats. Being interested in cars most of us can see the stupidy of electric cars where the total carbon footprint from manufacture to whole of life is little different to the ICE cars not the least as a complete rebuild of electricity networks is necessary. In particular the United States where they a have an 110 volt network. As for the argument of those of us who can jump into a mass of iron and steel just to go down to the shops or tour the countryside is waste of resources is quite correct but we like it don't we?
Hi Anne
Unfortunately what started out as a throwaway line developed into something akin other websitses I am too familiar with. I was tempted to provide a list of modern jargon woke words for those who are as mystified as I was. But probably better no to.
The other thing that concerns me is taxation ,or rather using “climate change” as a means of achieving more of it.
I can’t see how the 14 cities in the uk that have recently introduced low emission zones can expect to gain long term from it.The high streets are already dying due to online shopping and high taxation .
Where is the estimated 50 billion pounds a year in fossil fuel duty going to come from?
As we have a government determined to waste £500 billion (and counting ) on a new “royal” yacht and “prestige” HS railway line without improving local infrastructure, £50 billion pa excise loss seems like chickenfeed…

We did have PM who cycled to work for the cameras but his bodyguard followed in a gas- guzzler. And one who chained his bicycle to bollard, yes it was lifted off… half of these idiots hardly know which way is up!