The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Tappet Adjustment process
The cap orientation is not relevant - the position of the rotor arm is.
Sorry, yes the rotor arm is pointing to No1 plug lead I mention the cap as I think they mention it in one of the books and as I didnt remove the leads from the cap at any time then the orientation/length works with the cap flat in this position. I think it was 180 deg out before as I may have had the wrong TDC as mentioned.
If you are using traditional points, at top dead centre on the compression stroke, the points should be just about to open for that cylinder.

Depending on the type of rotor arm you have, that could be before or after the point you currently have it set at.
I have set the points at TDC to be just on the cusp of the lobe, the rotor arm I have has a lead in edge (not sure how to decribe it).
Sounds good.
Give it a tow, as Alan suggests
(06-07-2024, 05:05 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Give it a tow, as Alan suggests

Agreed. I once  built a new trials engine and spent the best part of a full day trying to start it. Last resort was a tow and it started on the first revolution. Never had an issue starting it again after that first time.

Steve
May take a while as the prop shaft is off as well as most of the bodywork etc. What does towing do?
Takes all of the load off the electrics, gives the chance for the rings to bite and generally allows everything to settle in and start working.

Not normally necessary but can help in situations like yours.
A 12v battery may also be your friend here…