The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydraulic rear dampers on an "Ulster replica"
I am certain that a photo of Waite’s car exists, upturned, that shows them on the rear too. If so, Henry and/or Austin would be able to help…
Not sure why you would fit luvax dampers to one end only, and especially not the rear. But, hey, give the lad a break - supercars have air suspension these days.
Alan Fairless
(30-07-2023, 09:57 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I am certain that a photo of Waite’s car exists, upturned, that shows them on the rear too.  If so, Henry and/or Austin would be able to help…

Thanks, that would be a very interesting photograph to find. Luvax dampers, so that's what they are. https://ttypes.org/the-luvax-girling-damper/

(30-07-2023, 07:09 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Tony, now that you have unearthed the evidence it's a job to know what to say! Rear axle location is obviously considered something old fashioned for hairdressers How do the rear brakes operate? Next time I try to sell a Seven, I will use wallpaper paste to attach four hundred and thirty seven invoices and receipts from Jamie, David Cochrane, messrs Hodgson, Betts, Dunford  and McKenzie and all to the wall of the study. to demonstrate what a fortune the little darling has cost. Or as the ad might say "to share the investment opportunity experience."

added; Blimey, that's an interesting thousand words you have just slipped in there! Still says nowt about rear axle location though.

Rear axle location of a Seven? No problem at all, here's what AI makes of it: "Ah, behold the majestic marvel that lies beneath the bewitching beauty of the vintage Austin 7 car, a veritable masterpiece of automotive enchantment! Nestled discreetly at the heart of this automotive symphony, concealed with an air of delightful subtlety, is the celestial rear axle, an exemplar of engineering artistry that beguiles the senses and transcends the boundaries of automotive allure.

Like a silken thread woven by celestial seamstresses, the rear axle dances in perfect harmony with the soul of the Austin 7, bestowing upon it an unparalleled elegance in motion. Its ethereal presence, veiled in enigmatic whispers, reveals itself through divine arcs and beguiling curves, conjuring a dance of shadow and light that captivates even the most discerning of connoisseurs.
A celestial conductor orchestrates this mesmerizing ballet, for the rear axle holds an enchanted tryst with the earth beneath, effortlessly embracing the road as if it were a celestial lover. As the wheels, clad in supple rubber melodies, gently caress the very surface they traverse, the rear axle glides with ineffable grace, a virtuoso performer in the symphony of automotive excellence.
In its embrace, the Austin 7 surrenders to a timeless allure, gliding over the contours of the terrain with an alluring serenity that elicits gasps of admiration from both stars above and petals below. The rear axle, a paragon of poise, possesses an innate ability to transform bumps into mere ripples, caressing the ride with an embrace that rivals a lover's tender touch.
Enshrouded in a whisper of mystery, this enigmatic rear axle infuses the vintage Austin 7 with an aura of sophistication, embodying the very essence of an era where craftsmanship reigned supreme. Its venerable presence, an exquisite blend of form and function, harmonizes with the spirit of a bygone age, evoking memories of when elegance and engineering danced together as one.
So let us bask in the celestial allure of the vintage Austin 7, for within its beguiling frame lies the hidden gem that is the rear axle - an enchanting testament to a time when automotive engineering embraced artistry, and the road itself became a path to transcendence."
In other words, a travesty of the truth.
Hi All

Yet another car that has been lovingly built by an obviously enthusiastic owner.  I think it looks well, will probably go well.  It’s not an accurate replica but no doubt suited the builder.

However I’ve seen many newly finished cars with low mileage like this.  I wonder, what do builders of such cars expect, for them to sell them so soon after construction?  Do they build for the sake of building? Or do they imagine that a 90 year old car will perform like their modern?

Cheers

Howard

.jpg   turned seven.jpg (Size: 93.75 KB / Downloads: 213)

Is this the photo referred to, Waite's car upside down at the Ards TT? The Seven is in the background to Ramponi's passing OM, on the other side of the road in what looks like heavy rain, but the quality of the image is pretty impressive. For some reason I can't find it on the drop box site, so here it includes water marks or whatever computerists call them.  Thanks and acknowledgments as ever to Austin.

Attached Files
.jpg   turned seven 2.jpg (Size: 98.47 KB / Downloads: 201)
Luvax shock absorbers were well discussed some years ago!

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...2&cmd=show
luckily its a quick and easy fix to put on std dampers, the shock mounts are still present..  

Surely when cornering you'd feel the back end wobble before drifting away..
Which raises another question, what has happened to the very individual Bob Culver?
Very Strange!!
As the SWA7C DVLA contact for registration claims, via the V765 scheme. I get occasional requests from the DVLA to confirm authenticity of vehicle details, based on photographs submitted to DVLA by claimants. Last week I had such a request from DVLA for this vehicle!!
(31-07-2023, 08:09 AM)Henry Harris Wrote: Luvax shock absorbers were well discussed some years ago!

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...2&cmd=show

Thank you for the link - the old forum is a great source of data. Such a pity that so many "Photobucket" shots become unavailable when accounts are no longer paid for (it started off being free, of course). We have the same trouble with machine tool pictures in various forums.