The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Head Stud Thread
I find that even "adjustable" split dies made in China are hopeless. One set (fortunately free with a load of other junk) cut far too deeply even when opened right up. Try to find some proper UK or European-made ones in high-speed steel by the likes of Dormer, Goliath, Hall, Osborne, SKF, Presto, etc. They often appear on eBay as complete or incomplete sets.
(26-06-2023, 10:40 AM)andrew34ruby Wrote: I've never understood the purpose of a die nut. If a die needs to be adjustable (and they all are) then how can a die nut ever be right?
They're actually quite useful, where a thread needs to be cleaned up as opposed to cut from the start on a piece of rod. They can also be driven with a socket rather than a die holder, which improves accessibility.
Like Tony, I try to find reliable old brand die nuts, the Chinese type are too unreliable.
Somewhere in the shed I have grandfathers old die plate from around 1900 with a number of die holes. He ran a cycle and motor shop in Chard.
Hi Bob, thanks for your comment that the studs may have been made to none standard dimensions by an earlier fettler.  That is not the the case. I tried 5/16 BSF nuts from other parts of the car. They also were very loose on the threads cut with the die nut and fitted nicely on the threads that had not been touched by the die nut.
Hello,
from my metric perspecticve the whole topic is even more mysterious. Could anyone provide the link to the list of the Cornwall Austin Seven Club mentioned at the beginning of the topic?
Thanks
Frank
(28-06-2023, 08:12 AM)Frank Stoll Wrote: Hello,
from my metric perspecticve the whole topic is even more mysterious. Could anyone provide the link to the list of the Cornwall Austin Seven Club mentioned at the beginning of the topic?
Thanks
Frank

Hi Frank

https://www.austin7.org/Data%20Pages/Tech%20Data/

Cheers

Howard
Graham - can you point me to where on the Cornwall A7 site you found the thread info please? I've had a look but couldn't find it.

Thanks
Colin
Hi

I am disappointed that on the above referenced page of the Cornwall Austin Seven Club, Austin's 1937 published head stud torque figure of 360 lbs-in (30 lbs-ft) is being perpetuated. This has been discussed at length in the past on this forum, and the general conclusion is that it is rather too high. Maybe a health warning should be added ?
(29-06-2023, 08:18 AM)John Cornforth Wrote: Hi

I am disappointed that on the above referenced page of the Cornwall Austin Seven Club, Austin's 1937 published head stud torque figure of 360 lbs-in (30 lbs-ft) is being perpetuated.  This has been discussed at length in the past on this forum, and the general conclusion is that it is rather too high. Maybe a health warning should be added ?

Cor lummy, 30 lb.ft (not lb/ft) for tappets sounds a bit wild too! Not to mention 50 for C/M.

(28-06-2023, 08:12 AM)Frank Stoll Wrote: Hello,
Thanks
Frank

Frank, I'm not letting you play that "I'm German" card any more since I discovered fusszoll.... (for the illumination of others, the German foot and inch!)
(29-06-2023, 07:20 AM)colina Wrote: Graham - can you point me to where on the Cornwall A7 site you found the thread info please? I've had a look but couldn't find it.

Thanks
Colin

Colin, your query has been answered by Howard giving the link in his post above. The table of threads is on the last page of that link.
Regards 
Graham 

(29-06-2023, 08:18 AM)John Cornforth Wrote: Hi

I am disappointed that on the above referenced page of the Cornwall Austin Seven Club, Austin's 1937 published head stud torque figure of 360 lbs-in (30 lbs-ft) is being perpetuated.  This has been discussed at length in the past on this forum, and the general conclusion is that it is rather too high. Maybe a health warning should be added ?