The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedants' Corner
Is this because the "royal" family are of German descent?
King Marke is Cornish.
(04-12-2021, 06:57 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Is this because the "royal" family are of German descent?

They're only part-German, the Queen Mother was British and Prince Philip was Danish.
An anorak writes, being temporarily relaxed after teatime, I wondered why he was always known as Phil the Greek. Hasty research indicated that he was neither Greek nor Danish, although his mother became a Greek Orthodox nun. A 1705 Act of Parliament had declared that all descendants of Electress Sophia of Hanover were to be regarded as British. The European royal families not being known for widespread choice of partners, Philip was as British as his wife. Now shall I go and lie down, or try to see how many sleeve valve Daimler’s were in the Sandringham motor house in 1929.
So where does the Saxe-Coburg line spring from if not Germany? Don’t misunderstand me, I don’t dislike foreigners, I was born in Holland, it’s just that I’m a staunch republican.
(04-12-2021, 10:17 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: So where does the Saxe-Coburg line spring from if not Germany? Don’t misunderstand me, I don’t dislike foreigners, I was born in Holland, it’s just that I’m a staunch republican.
That there is German ancestry in the Royal line is without doubt.  The Queen's Great  Grandmother Queen Victoria had German blood from both sides. Her Father Prince Edward Duke of Kent was the fourth son of the German King George 111.   Her mother was Victoria Saxe Coberg Saalfeld, a German Princess.

I am a Royalist... although the antics of Harry and Megan (and Andrew) make me wonder for how much longer.
Duncan, how can you claim to be a republican. The Royal family are so kind. They allow us to swim in the seas even though they own the entire sea bed. And Phil’s Will was so generous, or might turn out to have been when it can be made public, the year that Austin Sevens reach their hundred and ninetieth birthday.
Steve,
To assist I can always lend you the book " Royal Daimlers " by Brian E Smith. A 450 page tome that will tell you all you wish to know!
(04-12-2021, 10:49 PM)Ray White Wrote: I am a Royalist... although the antics of Harry and Megan (and Andrew) make me wonder for how much longer.

I’m in full agreement with you there Ray!
According to a list of English Kings and Queens, when the house of Stuart ended in 1688 with the death of James 2nd, the crown was taken over by the house of Orange (Dutch) until 1714 when it came under the control of the House of Hanover (German) with George 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th then William 4th before Victoria, when it became the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha after her marriage to Prince Albert. Her grandson, George 5th decided that after the traumas of the Great War it would be prudent to change the family name to Windsor, and so it remains.