The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The start of my van's body build
yes, quite possible than a later personal import has added to a "restoration"... need to check that record if we can find an owner!
As I understand the Austin 7s sent to Australia for local bodies comprised a complete chassis , engine , wheels, floor pan, mudguards, radiator, bonnet and scuttle. 

The major body supplier Holden Motor Bodies often prepared Fabric Saloon bodies based on Austin Distributors advice of a UK order for say 40 cars . 

The bodies were fitted immediately on arrival and put out for sale.

I believe my early 1929 Fabric Saloon would be one of these- another member has a 1930 Fabric saloon with the identical body on a short scuttle chassis - just seen behind my car

.jpg   Austin Seven Saloon 5.jpg (Size: 89.84 KB / Downloads: 493)

Sorry for the deviation from the subject  Undecided
Mike when I first got the car i wrote to BLM and the archivist Anders Clausenger and was informed it was supplied as a "chassis scuttle unit" in June 1929. I found a Properts of Brisbane makers badge with the car so i think it was bodied by them as a steel bodied chummy. The number of the car was stamped on the tunnel:

Stephen
How does it sit in comparison to these two records below? There are very few Tourers listed with body numbers, but seems to tie with another in the 55xxxs. It just seems too darn close... not to be linked. 49000 is a lot of bodies...  and numbering of same style and in same sort of place/position!
PC 3235
A8-9586
??/??/1929
AD Tourer
Yellow
NZ

TE 8899
18/07/1929
Chummy
Yellow / Black
GB
20160627 new entry eform: - rgb /
Hi Jon, sorry for the late reply. I tried to send a private message with a pic but I don't think it worked so I'll post a pic with the information here.
Stephen

.jpg   MY AUSTINS NUMBER PLATES.jpg (Size: 61.83 KB / Downloads: 333)
Seeing the overstamp of 1624 makes me even more certain the 49xxx is Longbridge. But yes, it is out of sync. That numbering would have been c. 12.1928 from the few recordings of cars we have. The 1624 is clearly the local body recording.
Having now seen a picture from Perth distributor with a). separate rolling chassis and b). rolling chassis, bonnet/rad/scuttle and base structural bodywork, perhaps those were made up and left somewhere... and perhaps older floorpans sent because their exact spec wouldn't really have been noticed in comparison to other Austins by other Austin owners?
This weekend the Seven van went to a car show here in Calgary and was its first public display. The project created a lot of interest in what I was doing with many questions asked. Sadly I did not meet any other A7 owners.

It was a grand day out with friends who were pleased to see the progress on the van.
Cheers,
Stephen
Just noticed that you're in Calgary Steve and within a mere 100km of one Roy Wilkins featured in the attached.     .
He too built a van as a tribute to his familys' UK bakery business. I'll try to post a picture later. Roy emigrated to Canada some years back. With the intention of returning permanently, he came back in 2022 bringing his Chummy with him. He decided against staying in favour of a return to BC, but the car remained here and I bought it in 2023. He visited in July last year and stayed with us a few days. At 94 he is splendid and entertaining company. Just FYI

1000km rather than 100! Big country
I must say how much I enjoy this van-body-building saga and its many interesting practical and historical details.
Hi Peter, thank you for the pic of Roy. He lives in Vancouver or Tsawwassen actually and am happy to say that i have met him a couple of times and visited him at his home to examine his chummy for details.
It is a 12 hour drive to get there from Calgary in a modern car.
Cheers,
Stephen