The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas shopping - young James persuades his father to let him drive the AE
I took my first test in my RL saloon in Llandudno in 1961. Llandudno had just started offering diving tests, following the installation of traffic lights. Prior to this, the nearest venue was Bangor, 35 miles away. My home town of Colwyn Bay, could not offer tests as there were no traffic lights in the town!
I had been driving with mostly unqualified front passengers, for some time, as none of my friends had passed their test, so I felt quite confident.
My first test appointment was on 1st January, not a Bank Holiday in those days. My employer accompanied me from Colwyn Bay To Llandudno, and on the way it started to snow. When we arrived at the test centre, the tester deemed the conditions too dangerous! Less than 1/2 inch of snow on the ground.
 Booked another test for a month later. Again accompanied by my boss, who spent too long on the phone with a customer, so we arrived at test centre 4 minutes late. Once again the same tester refused to conduct the test.  Re-booked for a month later. this time we arrived early. The tester looked at The RL, and asked is the car road worthy and insured? He got in beside me, and I immediately started the engine. Switch off was the instruction, then read the registration number on the car parked 25yds away. He then instructed me to start the engine and proceed as instructed. Completed the test route, stopped at the test centre for the Highway Code Test, which I could answer verbatim. He then announced " you have failed Mr Williams". The test report stated "a lack of anticipation" as the reason for failing. I was absolutely dumbfounded.
Back a month later in a customers Mini Pick Up, and passed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Christmas shopping - young James persuades his father to let him drive the AE - by john williams - 11-12-2023, 04:17 PM