The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
electronic distributors - any further feedback?
Hello Jon - I bought one back at the beginning of July and as others have reported, it transformed the performance of the Ruby with smoother running, slightly higher top speed and marginally better fuel consumption.
BUT - I realised a week or so ago that the timing was slowly retarding itself. My initial thought was that the pin attaching the drive gear had sheared (which I've had happen on a standard distributor) and that it was tight enough on the shaft to allow it to rotate slowly, causing the gradual retardation.
Yesterday (at the side of the road) I dismantled the whole unit and discovered that it was in fact the crimping which holds the shaft on which the cam is mounted to its base plate, which had begun to fail. The shaft was still fairly tight on the plate, but allowed the rotor to slowly turn independent of the rest of the mechanism. I hope I've explained it - I meant to take a photo of the offending item but forgot...
Fortunately, inspired by some of the comments on the previous thread, the old Lucas unit was under the seat and is now back where it belongs.
I spoke to Accuspark this morning and all they said was 'send it back' which I've done. I'll update when I hear back from them!

Alastair

Messages In This Thread
RE: electronic distributors - any further feedback? - by Alastair - 29-08-2017, 07:46 PM