The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
1929 Austin Seven Gordon England Stadium up for sale
(18-07-2023, 11:07 PM)Erich Wrote: Just to add to what has already been said about the car, I'll chime in on a few things. As far as its history, there was some speculation initially from the fellow who found it, that it may have served as a recovery vehicle. This was assumed because of the AAA decals on the doors. However, this, I think, is highly unlikely as it is so small. There was also a story that the people who had it, were wealthy and had brought it from the UK as a toy to drive on their estate and finally gave it to the fellow who owned the filling station. That seems a bit unlikely as well. The car shows no signs of ever having been registered in the UK, nor in the US. Our license plates are considerably different and there is no indication that one was bolted on to the front or rear plates of the car. We do know that Gordon England exhibited cars in the US, including the car that became the MacLachlan Special. So I would posit that the Stadium likely was imported as an exhibit at an auto show, possibly the New York Auto Show. That might explain the AAA badges. We know that American Austins and Bantams appeared in Hollywood movies and so there was a certain fascination with these diminutive cars as compared to even the standard Ford Model A's, let alone Cadillacs and Packards and the like. It is certainly a rare car and its overall condition indicates that it was probably relegated to the shed with very few miles on it. Its more recent history is that a fellow was tearing down the shed(and I think the filling station) and found the car in about 2010. He then contacted Murray Smith, who some may know and who has raced for many years, starting with an Austin Seven Ulster in the late 50's-early 60's in the UK, before moving to the US.

A truly lovely little car.

Erich in Seattle

With regard to the registration, the numberplate it now carries is "BF 9987" a birmingham issue 

According to the DVLA it was first registered in Novermber 2022 with a year of manufacture 1929 

Current "Age related" plate issue from the dvla is  "#XS ####"

I have been issued in the last 12 months "MXS ###" and more recently "TXS ####"

So it is reasonable to assume that the "BF" number has been taken from another car, and i think if it was mine, i would have done similar, and the #XS doesnt suit cars of this era 

If i had the money, i would be bidding

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1929 Austin Seven Gordon England Stadium up for sale - by JohnD - 19-07-2023, 12:52 PM