The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another disturbing noise from Ruby
I stripped all the attachments off the engine this afternoon in readiness to reinstall same back into the body, but as previously noted my intention, I removed the head to check all was ok inside.

In a previous thread, "Head bolt torque and block" posted by Keith Smith 11.08.22, I noted that I had originally torqued the studs with a calibrated wrench to 30 ft lbs (360 in lbs) and was advised this was way OTT and that I was quote, "...a very lucky boy" not to have broken a stud or two. So this time I torqued the head to just 20 ft lbs. When undoing the nuts I was able to remove them with just a small spanner and surprisingly very little effort.  

Upon removing the head there was plenty of evidence of both oil and water migrating under the gasket and traces in one of the bores.

I had applied and very thin film of copper slip on both sides of a new gasket on installation, but no sealant.  

The block and head had been checked at the time the block was honed, the block was found to ok but the head was skimmed 0.005".  It could be seen at time that more material had been removed from the outer edges of the head than in the centre.   

I attach a pdf document with various photos of the head and block literally as the head was removed. The areas that look like they are rusting are not, it is the copper slip.

All the oil in bores and on the faces of the head and block simply wipe off.

The pistons slide very easily without any noise when turning the engine over on the handle.

So the question is should I increase the torque or should I apply a suitable Loctite sealant, which others have suggested on other posts or is there anything else i should be looking for?

One other thought, is there a chance the sleeves could be leaking.......??

As always all comments are very much appreciated.

Cheers

Attached Files
.pdf   Ruby Head removed 08.05.23.pdf (Size: 1.35 MB / Downloads: 49)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another disturbing noise from Ruby - by Tiger - 18-04-2023, 07:34 AM
RE: Another disturbing noise from Ruby - by Alan - 18-04-2023, 03:59 PM
RE: Another disturbing noise from Ruby - by Tiger - 22-04-2023, 11:53 AM
RE: Another disturbing noise from Ruby - by Tiger - 22-04-2023, 01:24 PM
RE: Another disturbing noise from Ruby - by Tiger - 26-04-2023, 03:54 PM
RE: Another disturbing noise from Ruby - by Tiger - 28-04-2023, 07:01 PM
RE: Another disturbing noise from Ruby - by Denis Sweeney - 08-05-2023, 08:52 PM