The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 speed Crash Gearbox Illustration
(13-04-2023, 02:01 PM)Archivist Wrote: Does no one have any thoughts on this at all? I must admit that, when I was sent the two drawing, I was somewhat blown away in that the drawings are both clearly stated Austin 7 and are dated 1929 (though the copies I have were issued in November 1947). According to the (Austin branded) envelope they came in, they were sent to A Mr. John D Watt of Isleworth. This begs so many questions. What is the origin on the two drawings? How did Mr Watt know they existed? Why did he request them? Why did Austin let him have them?

So many questions...

Maybe Mr Watt was a designer or draughtsman (I can't see any name on the blueprint) at Austin Motor Company who worked on the possible alternative gearboxes and knew of the existence of the drawings. 

Austins would have no need for these in 1947  

Isn't the blueprint lovely- takes me back to my days at Caulfield Institute of Technology where we still used blueprints (exposed in the sun if I remember correctly) sometime in the 1950s

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4 speed Crash Gearbox Illustration - by Tony Press - 13-04-2023, 11:26 PM