The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving a Seven in modern day Traffic
I think it makes a big difference whether you want to drive an unmodified Chummy or a late Ruby.  The later car with its high steel body looks (and behaves) to other drivers (especially from the back) much like a modern car – once indicators are fitted.  On the road, it is just a bit tardy when accelerating and has a low top speed. Most now have modified lights at the rear to make them legal and easier to see.

But an unmodified Chummy has no brake lights, no indicators, and does not look anything like a modern car from any angle.  When I was driving a Chummy in Warrington a few years ago, in addition to having to watch out and leave space as usual in a Seven, some drivers around me reacted very strangely, distracted by the car – and then caused a problem on a number of occasions.  For example, one drove around a large roundabout on my inside - keeping pace - so they could look, but I then couldn't take a normal line - or leave!  Incidents like this made me wary of routinely driving the Chummy in normal traffic, which was hectic enough without interference, and most of the rest of the miles I did that summer were on quiet country lanes. 

By comparison, the Ruby fits in well enough, even in 2023.  If I find that I am gathering a snake of cars behind me on an A-road, then I look for somewhere to let them pass – but this doesn’t happen very often as most people can nip through when safe.  I choose routes where I know the roads and junctions – sometimes I will do a circular trip when going somewhere so that left turns out-number right i.e. anti-clockwise!  I also try to avoid giant roundabouts.  In general, there is no problem driving around in town as the average speed these days is about 20mph.  And the Ruby cooling system appears to cope with traffic jams, even on the hottest days.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Driving a Seven in modern day Traffic - by Colin Morgan - 16-02-2023, 05:10 PM