The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mysterious Engine Failure - Ideas, please
My Ruby is going again now.  I mentioned in my modified original thread that I had replaced the contact points to attempt to correct slight misfiring.  The old points were set at 25 thou gap.  I set the new points at about 12 thou gap because that was recommended in the Austin manual.  This is when the trouble started.
I checked the points gap a number of times during all my fault-finding steps and they continued to be in the region 10-12 thou.  But the performance of the engine was worse and worse with every start until it wouldn't run at all - just gave a few backfires.
Today, I set the points gap to 25 thou and hey presto the engine ran well.  I ran it for more than 10 minutes in the garage before turning it off.
When I pluck up courage, I will take it for a long run to confirm that it is all sorted.
Unfortunately it still has the original slight misfire. I will run with that.  This could be a case of not seeking a perfection for sake of reduced stress.
Thanks for all the helpful comments.
Regards
Graham.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mysterious Engine Failure - Ideas, please - by Graham Barker - 04-04-2022, 05:36 AM