The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vertical miller for sale - any offers
(01-04-2022, 06:49 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 11:28 AM)Bob Kneale Wrote: Not only an incredibly useful piece if equipment in any workshop, the fact that it comes complete with a very nice Abwood vice it is  very good value indeed.
Try and get any Abwood vice at a reasonable price these days -they are like hen's teeth.
I wouldn't be without my ZX25 mill/drill along with my lathe, although a Myford has its limitations when doing Automotive work.
Bob
I started off with an ML 7 a long time ago,vertical slide for limited milling work but have to say everything was hard work,too small a table too little slide travel etc too small a spindle bore.Bought a Super 7. Better tailstock for drilling,countershaft clutch and fitted a second hand gearbox and taper turning attachment from another super 7 I bought so in the end as good as a Myford could get.
I do admire those Old model engineers who made superb models on them,I spoke to one who'd machined a 3" traction engine cylinder on one.
However if I was going to advise someone looking to buy a lathe I'd say maybe a Boxford for most small /medium work,a bit bigger,heavier and capable of more useful? Work.
I still have my Super 7 and use it for certain jobs,lathes are like lawnmowers,You can't get one that does everything.
Yes, a good choice is a Boxford. The model to avoid is the "C", a version that lacks power sliding and surfacing feeds and requires the use of the easily-worn (and hard to replace) leadscrew clasp nuts to drive the carriage. The Models "A" and "B" have a power feed apron with worm-and-wheel gearing inside; this - instead of the leadscrew - is used to drive the carriage for normal turning and also provides power cross feed. The arrangement also gives a much finer rate of feed than using just the changewheels or screwcutting gearbox. The top-of-the-range Boxford is the late-model VSL with an L00 spindle nose and a much larger spindle bore.
If considering a Boxford read this first: http://www.lathes.co.uk/boxford   If pondering which lathe to buy, here is some advice: http://www.lathes.co.uk/faq/page2.html

Messages In This Thread
RE: Vertical miller for sale - any offers - by Tony Griffiths - 01-04-2022, 10:56 PM