The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
understanding 3 speed gearbox conversions
I ran my RL with an Andrew Bird 'Andes' box for a couple of years with the 4.9 axle, but it struggled on one of the Pennine Runs on some of the very long climbs out of the valleys ( I am thinking of Holmfirth up past Compos Café) when I was forced to use first gear for mile after mile because 2nd was too high.  The car was two up with luggage.  I have reverted to the standard ratios which on the saloon are better for North Yorkshire.  The Ulster also has the Andes box but with more power, less weight and the 5.25 axle will climb normal hills in top and romps up steeper hills in 2nd, even the fearsome Sneck Yate with only me on board.

On the Coast to Coast Run there was a long straight hill up onto the Yorkshire Wolds from a village called Flixton.   Being only about five miles from the start in Scarborough there was usually a large bunch of Austin 7's.   The road was quiet and wide enough for four Austins abreast.  It was a wonderful sight to see four lanes of Austins, all positioned according to their gear ratios, climbing the long hill.   The speed of the cars in lane two may only have been 1 mph faster than those in lane one but by the top of the hill most cars had sorted themselves out.  Happy days!

Messages In This Thread
RE: understanding 3 speed gearbox conversions - by Malcolm Parker - 16-06-2020, 09:53 PM