The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter Motor not Engaging - Advice Please
(30-05-2020, 03:31 PM)John P Wrote: John,

I've only got a low cost digital multi-meter but could I get any meaningful results using this.

John.
Hi John

One of the many problems Austin Seven owners have is trying to measure electrical values with DIGITAL instruments. They are too responsive to rapidly changing electrical values, Voltage or current or resistance to give a meaningful reading, and you would probably be more successful using the old fashioned ANALOGUE meter, which gives a much steadier reading under conditions experienced in a motor vehicle environment. I've been following this with interest having suffered this (and lived with it) and only cracked it by making sure every connection was extremely low resistance. Analogue multimeters are less easy to find than they used to be, but even a cheap one will be more help with wha t you are doing and by the end of the exercise/ordeal,you will have a very thorough working knowledge ad ability of matters involving ohm's law,voltage current and resistance.Don't be afraid to ask for advice from gurus like John Cornforth, for he talks a lot of practical sense.

Good luck and don't give up - yet!!!!!
Bob

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starter Motor not Engaging - Advice Please - by Bob Kneale - 30-05-2020, 10:39 PM