The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter Motor not Engaging - Advice Please
Yes,   I have just been trying it on the floor powered by some jump leads.

Before that I did strip it down again and checked for continuity of the field coils and that they weren't down to earth.   Obviously it's only checking at meter voltage but it all seems OK.

I also tried a continuity check between the various commutator segments and earth and again this seemed OK in that there was no continuity.   I did also measure the resistance between various segments but whichever pair I chose they always showed continuity between each other and a very low resistance figure (probably meaningless with my cheap multi-meter) but I didn't really know what to expect.

Running on the jump leads it runs quite fast but there's still not much of a jolt when it starts up and the pinion doesn't even try to release itself from the clip.   If you wind the pinion out of the clip before starting then it does move forward but not with any great urgency.

I am just cleaning up the Bendix helix again but it was already pretty clean so I'm not too hopeful.

I did wonder if running the motor for a few minutes would help bed in the new brushes but other than that I think I'll try it back on the car and then admit defeat - at least for now.

John.

Nick,

It's a brand new battery which shows around 6.3 volts at the terminals and 6.2 at the starter.

I haven't charged it myself but it was supposedly fully charged when I got it just under a week ago.

John.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starter Motor not Engaging - Advice Please - by John P - 29-05-2020, 05:37 PM