The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter Motor not Engaging - Advice Please
I’ve just had exactly the same issue as yours John, Motor spins, but has absolutely no grunt to throw the Bendix in.

The front plain bearing was a bit slack so I’ve machined up a new one. The new brushes, I have bedded in by wrapping the commutator with 150 grit wet or dry and spinning it to get a good connection. I have also thoroughly cleaned everything including the oil on the Bendix, which i’m Sure didn’t help, replaced the broken Bendix retaining clip and carefully filed the copper connection, which was burnt, on the starter switch for a better connection.

If you can be patient while I wait for my neighbour to lend me his heavy duty jump leads, I’ll let you know if it works!

If it doesn’t I’m going to do a full and detailed electrical check (my neighbour is an electrical engineer, so i’ll Ask his advice, from a safe distance of course) to see if there’s something inherently wrong and report back either way.

Don’t give up, there c@nt be much simpler than a starter motor...can there?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starter Motor not Engaging - Advice Please - by Ivor Hawkins - 29-05-2020, 03:59 PM