The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter Motor not Engaging - Advice Please
Well, I finally got around to taking the starter motor off and the good news is that it definitely rotates the correct way.

I did try adjusting the pinion retaining clip but the real issue seems to be a lack of acceleration when the motor is powered.  Looking at the relatively small mass of the pinion gear it looks like it would need the motor to accelerate quite violently to get it to move along the helix which I think is what Nick Turley was suggesting.

The brushes seem to be bearing on the commutator OK but now that I've taken them out they are certainly worn although the face which contacts the commutator is still nice and square to the rest of the brush.

I'm going to replace the brushes anyway but is this likely to be the cause of the lack of violent acceleration or is there anything else I should be looking at?

John.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starter Motor not Engaging - Advice Please - by John P - 27-05-2020, 12:20 PM