The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter Motor not Engaging - Advice Please
This reminds me of our second RN saloon where the starter wasn't connected to the very large battery behind the passenger seat because the cable wouldn't reach it. The engine started easily on the handle so it was a few weeks before I bought a battery that would fit in it's rightful place. With it connected it spun the engine over but the engine wouldn't start, then I spotted the fan going the wrong way. As an immediate fix I fitted a spare starter and some time later I raised the question with John Platts who told me they didn't know how to fix it but they had a later 4 speed starter which went the wrong way. I took this and swapped over the parts between the two starters so I then had a 3 speed and a 4 speed starter both of which now ran the correct way and sold latter. So it's not unusual for starter bits to be mixed up. I'd bench test the starter with it securely clamped down in a vice to check it's direction of rotation and to see if it has the correct bendix helix.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Starter Motor not Engaging - Advice Please - by Dave Mann - 26-05-2020, 09:49 AM