The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starter Motor not Engaging - Advice Please
This afternoon I finally finished fitting a starter motor to my Ulsteroid which I have always previously started on the handle.

I have a new battery and leads which includes a second earth connection directly from the battery to one of the starter motor mounting fixing bolts.

The starter button was dismantled and generally refurbished but I’ve done nothing much to the starter motor itself as it looked quite good and, in any case, until today I didn’t have a serviceable battery to test it. I did however replace the spring clip which retains the pinion as the original was broken with only one side actually doing anything.

When I gave it a try I was pleased to hear the motor spin into life and it certainly sounds as though it’s rotating quite quickly and steadily, however the pinion does not appear to be engaging in the ring gear which is also new.

I’m assuming that either the new pinion clip is too tight and not allowing the gear to move forward into the ring gear or, despite how it sounds, that the motor isn’t spinning up quickly enough for the inertia of the gear to throw it forward but how would I know which is the problem and how do you adjust the retaining clip, just by bending it I assume?

Any suggestions?

John.

Messages In This Thread
Starter Motor not Engaging - Advice Please - by John P - 24-05-2020, 10:40 PM