The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New chap in town with a Cambridge Special project
Not a lot of progress, but there is some.

Dad has got keen on tackling the floor, and is making up an angle iron frame. This will bolt to the chassis and have a small gap to the body, so that the floor moves with the chassis and lets the body flex on its own.

Plywood cut to shape will drop into the frame, and rest on the chassis legs. It will do the job though it might end up a little heavy.

We have a Ruby gearbox cover which we might try and incorporate into the mix, but not sure yet.

Meanwhile I've been rummaging through all the bits of brakes that we have. I'm told there is another pot of brake levers and cams in the loft still, but this is what I've sorted through so far:

The plan is to use Bowden cables fore and aft. I'm hoping that the levers I need are in the other box in the loft. But I would love to be as to identify which of these levers and cams belong to which set up!

I've found 3 of the chunky cast iron drums which I've cleaned up and primed, but no sign of a 4th yet. The 3 just need a gentle skim and they will be fine.
Also 10 of the steel semi-Girling brake shoes which are all in reasonable nick. When I've got the front hub bearings and have a hub and backplate built up, I'll measure up and work out what thickness of lining to go for, and get the shoes off to Saftek for their Green Gripper linings. 

I did find something interesting today - the new body is about 1 1/2" wider than the original. The rear brakes will have to be built onto the axle before the body goes on, else there isn't the clearance to get the actuator and adjuster in from the back of the shoe! And it means body off anytime the gubbins needs attention...

Messages In This Thread
RE: New chap in town with a Cambridge Special project - by Pete236 - 11-04-2020, 12:54 AM