The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
King pin eye faces on stub and beam axles.
(29-11-2017, 09:36 AM)Chris KC Wrote: I can't think of an earthly reason to do this to an Austin Seven - a steel washer and a bit of grease now and then works just fine. And I very definitely would not remove metal from the axle stub to accommodate a bearing, however slim.

Chris, (and some of the others who have replied) just to confirm we are talking about the same thing....  It is the BIG 7 AXLE I am refurbishing.  This has 5/8 king pins and the bottom bush does not have a flange like the ordinary 7.  The thrust washer therefore has an ID of 5/8 inch and the O/D can be 1 1/8ish but may be slightly smaller. The underside of the axle beam eye is recessed by about 0.17 inches so the thrust sits partly in the recess and hence needs to be thick enough to protrude so the outer wall of the recess of the beam axle is clear of the stub axle eye face.

Sorry moderator...can the post subject be amended to read " BIG 7 king pin eye faces on stub and beam axle"  and the other associated subject  "BIG 7 king pin thrust washers"

Dennis

(28-11-2017, 07:54 PM)Alan Wrote: I don't think oilite is something I'd choose for this application. At least one of our suppliers sells the correct hardened washers. I'd use those if I were you. I think they are cheaper as well.
Alan....why would you not chose?   what technical reason?  Here is blurb from Bowman .co.uk:-  (just for interest the manufacturing process of sintering is the means where the metal has the pours into which the lubricant soaks)

Materials
Oilite bearings are manufactured in three standard materials. 
1. Standard Oilite oil retaining tin bronze is the generally specified material. It gives good balance between strength, wear resistance, conformability and durability in operation. Ideal in a wide variety of applications where self-lubricating properties are required over a long period of time.
2. Super Oilite® is an iron copper material suited to high static loads and slow oscillatory motion.
3. Iron Oilite® are 100% iron oil-retaining bearings which provide an ideal solution in high stress low revolution applications.
Please see the Oilite® materials page for further technical details.

Dennis

Messages In This Thread
RE: King pin eye faces on stub and beam axles. - by Dennis Nicholas - 29-11-2017, 10:53 AM