The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crankshaft Failure - a remedy from 1964?
(06-02-2019, 11:44 PM)EBob Culver Wrote: For the deflections involved I doubt if the bearings and crankcase offer significant restraint. If you assemble the bearing at one end only can spring the crank a long way with just a few pounds pressure and there are many hundreds loose in an engine. Other 2 brg makes with plain bearings were not hopelessly prone to failure. A.C races adjusted for slight preload are relatively rigid but the front of cranks do not snap off.
The arithmetic is now beyond me but I suspect the plane of the spinning crank offers notable resistance.
For the average amateur the Companion book would be improved with many of the musings deleted!

Bob, as you know the companion has been around well prior to Phoenix cranks.
For 2 bearing engines Phoenix, or if you can afford it or think it necessary Hadley cranks are the way to go.I know a number of Phoenix have broken, due to poor regrind or abuse but unusual.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Crankshaft Failure - a remedy from 1964? - by Zetomagneto - 06-02-2019, 11:55 PM