The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seeking tips for making good quality battery cables
Any decent auto electrician should be able to make up a cable to whatever spec you want. Jeff's specs look good. I would only crimp the terminals on, with the proper crimp tool that looks like a big set of bolt cutters. A proper crimped joint is much better than a poorly crimped and soldered one. After crimping you can cover the connection with heatshrink. Use the kind with glue inside it to get a waterproof connection.

If you solder them you're more likely to get corrosion in the joint from the fluxes (if you really do have to solder use proper electrical solder, not plumbers stuff that can have very acidic flux). Also the heat required will anneal the copper lug and copper wires making them softer and the point at which the solder wicks up the cable you get a stress point that can eventually break if the cable can move about. It's also hard to do without melting/affecting the insulation. Certain industries don't allow crimping and soldering of the same joint, notably space and aviation.

If you do earth to the chassis make sure you have a good earth from the engine to the chassis too, especially if it's a rubber mounted engine. How did they do that originally? Now I think of it I don't remember anything about an earth strap. I do know on MGBs they have one (a flexible braided strap) and if you forget it apparently the engine/starter can earth back through the throttle and choke cables!

Simon

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seeking tips for making good quality battery cables - by jansens - 29-01-2019, 08:27 PM